• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

GloWarm Candle heater.

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
I have seen a few of this type of tent/room heater around on the internet......and have been tempted to give one a go.

For me......this one stands out from the rest....both in quality and design.
Made from stainless steel and alloy..... with a clay pot in the head (replaceable) of the unit to hold and amplify the heat generated.
The heater will work without it should it get broken.
Clean burn and cheap and easy to run (using the recommended SPAA candles)
No gas....oil.... with the associated problems and potential mess and expense that comes with them.
Ideal for use in a double walled 4 season tent living space......enough to take the chill off.....and provide a nice ambient comforting light.
As well as preventing water freezing and batteries going flatten the cold.

The heater can be purchased with either a 2 or 4 bladed fan......a bonus if you need to move the heat around in a larger space.
The options for use are many fold....home....car/van....tents......camper vans etc.

Some other types like the UCO (example) offer 9hr candles but at nearly £6 for 3 (Average)......a tad expensive.
Using the SPAA 8hr T Lights a pack of 120 for £15.99 it works out to about 52p per 8hr burn (If my maths are right🤔)

I will be hitting the button on one of these....8hr version without the fan for the time being......as I am thinking the fan would be better used in a larger space.

The unit will take up very little space in a pack or holdall.....easy to transport....and lightweight.
The company advise that the unit be placed on a heat resistant matt when in use....soldering type matt to save possible damage to surfaces.....like sewn in groundsheets 🤔

As with most heaters in use....common sense and awareness is a must.

That looks great. The fan price is quite good. I paid £45 for the one on my wood burner five years ago.
IMG_20211207_110416.jpg

Looks to be the very thing Rob :thumbsup:......certainly a good starting point for a home build version......there are a few out there :thumbsup:
Who will be first to give it a go then?....... @divebuddy :whistle:;):D

These always start a good argument on faceache on camper van forums; the arguments seem to be you’ll either definitely die of carbon monoxide poisoning or you definitely won’t and you’ll be able to heat you van for 3pence per decade.

May share it for a giggle!

These always start a good argument on faceache on camper van forums; the arguments seem to be you’ll either definitely die of carbon monoxide poisoning or you definitely won’t and you’ll be able to heat you van for 3pence per decade.

May share it for a giggle!

Oh no - not the health and safety exec!😆

There is the chance of inhaling toxins and gases from just about anything that burns......even a good old fart!
Exposure for long periods of time may have an adverse effect/ reaction for Asthma sufferers and the likes.
We expose ourselves to traffic...factory gases every time we step out of the door from our homes.
Maybe candles should carry a Gov health warning like Cigarettes.......along with some gross pictures of rotting flesh :sneaky:

After smoking for 30 plus years I think Im Fecked anyway :rolleyes::rofl:

Last edited:
I do find the whole idea of tea light heaters interesting; as a default I used to carry a couple of tea lights in my Bergen and one in my webbing. I’ve fond memories of sitting tucked up with crossed legs and a tea light drying my core out in random derelict Welsh farmhouse or barn, the warming effect was amazing both physically and psychologically.

I do find the whole idea of tea light heaters interesting; as a default I used to carry a couple of tea lights in my Bergen and one in my webbing. I’ve fond memories of sitting tucked up with crossed legs and a tea light drying my core out in random derelict Welsh farmhouse or barn, the warming effect was amazing both physically and psychologically.

Have done the very same 38....but covered with a poncho....as you say a real moral booster.

As @Madriverrob says, I've tried various, never had any real success but there again, I've never tried with a pot inside, I'll give it a go, I use the 10 hour tea light candles fyi, I'll see if I can get a lot today and give it a go. @1 shot willie seems a lot of money for what you're getting, the IKEA thing you can get in Asda etc a couple of quid, the pot can't be much then a stand of some sort, gotta be a tenner max?

Hi Al.

I think first and foremost these little candle heaters were designed for home use.....but have now gained popularity in other areas....to include cars...vans....trucks....tents etc.

As far as tent heating goes....to give the candle heater half a chance it needs to be used with a proper 4 season...double walled tent that has a sewn in groundsheet which will create a relatively draught free but ventilated enviourment inside and help to retain the heat rather than having it lost to a through draft or radiating through a single wall.
These heaters are not designed to create a sauna like space....but rather a comfortable temperature within a small area.

You are absolutely right....it is a lot of money and could be built at home for far less than I have spent.
But what the heck.....it is Christmas after all 🤣

Once I have tried this in the field in what will hopefully be testing conditions it will soon become very apparent if this was worth the Investment or not.
If not.....I am more than confident that my other kit and clothing will see me through and keep me safe.

A full warts and all honest review of this GloWarm heater will follow after the Scotland trip.......if I don't freeze.:confused::rofl:

Last edited:
I hope you’ll be going for the 100 quid version. 😆

:rofl:........Not at this moment in time SF.......starting off with the standard 8hr version without a 2 or 4 bladed fan.

To be honest I do not see the benefits of a fan in the small living area of the 4 season tent.
However if the tests go well in the tent.....I might very well buy.... and add..... a fan to the unit for the home.
In view of the recent storms and power cuts it might just come into its own one day.

If not......I will be the happy owner of one of the most expensive cutlery caddies ever produced :rolleyes::rofl::thumbsup:

:rofl:........Not at this moment in time SF.......starting off with the standard 8hr version without a 2 or 4 bladed fan.

To be honest I do not see the benefits of a fan in the small living area of the 4 season tent.
However if the tests go well in the tent.....I might very well buy.... and add..... a fan to the unit for the home.
In view of the recent storms and power cuts it might just come into its own one day.

If not......I will be the happy owner of one of the most expensive cutlery caddies ever produced :rolleyes::rofl::thumbsup:
I think the fan is there for entertainment value. 🤔

@Sharpfinger

Well yes....if so inclined you could always add some ribbon strips to the fan blades.......and watch them flutter as they go around and around and play some old Carousel music in the background to add to the ambience :rofl::rolleyes:
I cant comment on the fan as I have no experience of using one.

Maybe @divebuddy could throw some light onto that.....he has a 2 bladed fan that he uses on one of his heaters.:thumbsup:

Our fan works off the heat from the stove and appears to make a four degrees difference at the far end of the lounge on a cool evening. It moves the hot air in the cavity around the stove out into the room.

Our fan works off the heat from the stove and appears to make a four degrees difference at the far end of the lounge on a cool evening. It moves the hot air in the cavity around the stove out into the room.

Thanks for the input Dick :thumbsup:

Bugger :(......curiosity is snapping at my heels now:rofl:.......maybe after Scotland🤔:D

Back