• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Go West..old man.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Morning folks,
It is a year and eight months since I was last here. In that time, emails, passwords and addresses have been changed and long forgotten although I have continued to read the forum when I have had the chance.
I can log on again due to the kind help of Bopdude who answered an SOS message on another forum and made enquires with this Forum's staff on my behalf. I am really most grateful for that help, thank you.

Bare bones of the story are that for nearly 18 years I lived aboard my Ocean going yacht, just wandering the Mediterranean and Caribbean. Later I bought a static 'Mobile Home' used as a UK base when I wasn't at sea.

Contrast between the freedom of the open seas and small quiet anchorage bays and harbours that I was used to frequent , and the "crush" of living ashore in Sussex finally got to me. I'm a small shout off 76 and single handed sailing has changed vastly since I first sailed away. World events and mass movements of displaced people make sailing some areas a non starter. You can forget my old wandering grounds of Southern Sicily and the North African shore for a start...

The gods smiled on me though, as they have always seemed to, and I now live in the far South West of Wales surrounded by woodland and within a few minutes walking distance of the coast My old cruising boat is sold and I now have a small 21 foot boat for playing in locally.

Life is good. Still getting things squared away in the cottage, and yet to explore locally but I can see the stars at night in a black sky and the only sounds are the Tawny Owls chatting to each other once the sun has set.
Sax.

Welcome back Sax :thumbsup:

You have led an exciting and adventurous lifestyle......power to your elbow :)
I expect you have many an interesting tale to tell about your travels and time at sea.
Have you given thought to writing a book?......I would buy a copy :):thumbsup:

Thank you all for the welcomes..

"you must be an interesting chap round the camp fire with all them travels "

Mmm...not sure. But I'm aware of the fine line between a good yarn spinner and a boring old fart..So everyone should be fairly safe...:lol:

" any pictures and trip reports,. sounds great :) "

Some photos collected over the years Bopdude, perhaps best in Off topic, once I dig through the pile.

I keep this one handy to look at on a rainy day, just to remind me of times past. :)
I used to go where the wind took me, no schedules, plans or time constraints. (apart from the usual Seafarer's navigation/weather considerations)

Anchored somewhere in the Greek Cyclades Islands. Blue Poly Tarp sun awning rigged..I used a few that the sun eat, before I made a proper canvas awning..:)
embassy001.jpg

Attachments

• embassy001.jpg
    embassy001.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 16
Welcome back Saxonaxe. Sounds like you've led an interesting life so far and sounds like you've landed in a good place. Cheers

Welcome back!! Do you still have the Guzzi? Hope all is well!!:D

Thank you,lol. No, I sold the Guzzi just a couple of weeks ago. Bought it new in 1997 and had lots of happy miles together, but age takes it's toll and at 540 lb unloaded it was a big 'ol beast if I had to push/manoeuver it in tight spaces.
Plus...the roads where I live now just beg for a different bike. Lots of country roads just a Tractor wide.
P1050446.jpg
( note the obligatory tractor and trailer in the distance..:) )
Fabulous roads for a trailie or similar..
P1050450.jpg

P1050449.jpg

So it was goodbye to "Il Tractori" the Guzzi and hello to " Yakki" ( She's a Himalayan)...:lol:

P1050451.jpg

I've still got my old 1994 Yam XJ900 F stashed in my son's garage for motorway trips if needed.

Attachments

• P1050451.jpg
    P1050451.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 18
  • P1050449.jpg
    P1050449.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 17
  • P1050450.jpg
    P1050450.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 18
  • P1050446.jpg
    P1050446.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 15
What amazing coincidences; but I would have been interested in her. My Norge of 11 years was written off in a suspected "crash for cash" apparently last November. Guzzi not making anything similar, I too have changed...….
More recently though, I have been looking (on behalf of my neighbour, but I like them too...) at Royal Enfields...both the Himalayan and the Interceptor.
How do you get on with the Himalayan? I like that...……..

Attachments

• Bonnevilles at Lings open day 2.jpg
    Bonnevilles at Lings open day 2.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 137
Very early days yet with the Himalayan, less than 50 miles on the clock. First impressions..Easy to handle and great riding position that suits me after the Guzzi. Smooth gear box, No chain snatch and seemingly loads of torque ( and it gets better with mileage I'm told) In 3rd it feels capable of going up the side of a house even now!! All the niggles in the early production have been sorted, there is a development/ quality control team in Leicester who rectified any problems after the first batch. When you order a bike they come via Leicester not straight from India.
Already very impressed with it.
As a matter of interest the dealer who sold me Yakki rides an RE Interceptor..by choice! and he's got a shop full of Super Bikes from which he can take his pick. Totally different bike from the Himalayan of course, as far as designed purpose/performance.

Have a look at "Itchy Boots" on YouTube, young Dutch girl rode her Himalayan from India home to the Netherlands via Kurdistan and some very wild places.
She's now doing Patagonia to Alaska and wouldn't have any other bike to replace a RE Himalayan.👍

Reactions: lol
And Wow....I've just seen one in Albania......wow.

Back