• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Goathland Walk to mallyan spout and bits

NKari

Slightly Talkative
As Im mentioned before, im just getting into all things outdoors and starting to explore my local area for potential places to wild camp. I have to admit some of the forest around Goathalnd looks to provide some good opportunities. I also got to try my little wood burner for the first burn down by the river and a well earned snack
20230211_133703.jpg
20230211_133727.jpg
20230211_140133.jpg
20230211_143510.jpg
20230211_152055.jpg
20230211_141126.jpg
:)

Hello hello.

Thanks for sharing these lovely pics. Looks like a gorgeous spot for a stroll. But you have started a domestic dispute which you must now resolve.

What is that cut tree with the inclusions? They almost look like coins from the picture. My archaeologist wife was looking at them over brekkie scratching her head. One could almost imagine a tree growing up through some stashed material like a horde ( but obviously that hasn’t happened here from the visible cross section of the fallen tree). My guess would be people hammering coins into a tree stump. But why would they do that? It’s generally understood that you Poms are all nuts. But even so, this is bizarre and inexplicable.

Please put us out of our confusion. We are simple antepodians, largely ignorant of the ways of the world.

Cheers

Alan

Good post Niki :thumbsup:

Nice spot to be out and about for a wander....some nice photography too.

Nice neat stove!!.....multi fuel and simple :thumbsup:......are you happy with it?
Anything that cooks bacon and mushrooms like that has to be a bonus :D

Thanks for sharing......looking forward to more :thumbsup:

Hello hello.

Thanks for sharing these lovely pics. Looks like a gorgeous spot for a stroll. But you have started a domestic dispute which you must now resolve.

What is that cut tree with the inclusions? They almost look like coins from the picture. My archaeologist wife was looking at them over brekkie scratching her head. One could almost imagine a tree growing up through some stashed material like a horde ( but obviously that hasn’t happened here from the visible cross section of the fallen tree). My guess would be people hammering coins into a tree stump. But why would they do that? It’s generally understood that you Poms are all nuts. But even so, this is bizarre and inexplicable.

Please put us out of our confusion. We are simple antepodians, largely ignorant of the ways of the world.

Cheers

Alan

Hello hello.

Cheers

Alan
I did do a brief search when you initially sent you message but dint find anything at that time. But teh idea is very similar to that of a wishing well, or attaching locks to a specific location with names of courting couples :) 💞

Nice neat stove!!.....multi fuel and simple :thumbsup:......are you happy with it?
Very much. The bacon was lovely after a few hours scrambling over rocks and investigating some "off the path locations" ;)

A great spot ….. a bit busy sometimes. You are close to at least two of our wild camp spots there 😁
I did think walking around and looking at Google maps that the general area look prime for a sneaky overnighter ⛺🤫

Hello hello.

Cheers

Alan
They are coins that walkers etc have hammered into the stump Alan, You see a similar thing where the Venice water taxis load and unload only in that case its chewing gum that people stick om the wooden uprights

As Im mentioned before, im just getting into all things outdoors and starting to explore my local area for potential places to wild camp. I have to admit some of the forest around Goathalnd looks to provide some good opportunities. I also got to try my little wood burner for the first burn down by the river and a well earned snackView attachment 117567View attachment 117568View attachment 117569View attachment 117570View attachment 117571View attachment 117572 :)
Incidentally for those that don't know the television Heartbeat was filmed in Goathland and the surrounding area

I did do a brief search when you initially sent you message but dint find anything at that time. But teh idea is very similar to that of a wishing well, or attaching locks to a specific location with names of courting couples :) 💞

I did think walking around and looking at Google maps that the general area look prime for a sneaky overnighter bungle

I did think walking around and looking at Google maps that the general area look prime for a sneaky overnighter ⛺🤫
OK thanks for the explanation. I suspected it was something like that. Here in the Bungle-Bungle we have an old Boab Tree they call the ‘shoe tree’ and passers by throw pairs of shoes laced together into the branches. Intriguing, but the greater mystery is how the shoes all stay up there in a remote region where so many locals are involuntarily barefoot?

I still think you’re all nuts though….😵‍💫

Alan

Back