• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Gone fishin'

Yeah lol a like a wee pun now and then lol.
Hope the kidney issue sorts itself out buddy :thumbsup:

A could sit at the waters edge all day mate:thumbsup: a love the calmness.
Well mate you might as well, you must be the only angler to catch a bass in Loch ness :p :lol:

Hi jon.

What is the name of the river you are fishing mate?
How far inland are you fishing......distance to the sea/estuary?

I have read that the main species that come upstream are Flounder, Bass, Mullet and Eel? I Wont eat Eel, but will give the rest a try.

It's a fair way inland then Jon.

Was looking at the pictures you posted up mate.......looks like you have some pretty heavy duty line on the reel.....at a guess 20lb breaking strain??
Casting light weights with an under filled spool and heavy line wont make life easy........ you might be better replacing that 20lb? with 10lb line......with a 5ft..... 6lb leader?
The reel spool is quite a big one.........have you thought about some line backing to take up the bulk?.....you could wrap some cheap electrical tape around the spool to build it up........and then add your line.
You only need 150 yds of 10lb line attached to the backing for what you are doing......fill the spool to about 5mm below the spool lip.
You will cast easier and further if you do it.......and present the bait better.
The 6lb? leader will give before you're mainline in the event of a snag you can't get free of.
Having the lighter line......you could also try some small lures.....like Meps.

Not knocking what you have....nor what you are doing....just trying to help mate ;)

It's a fair way inland then Jon.

Was looking at the pictures you posted up mate.......looks like you have some pretty heavy duty line on the reel.....at a guess 20lb breaking strain??
Casting light weights with an under filled spool and heavy line wont make life easy........ you might be better replacing that 20lb? with 10lb line......with a 5ft..... 6lb leader?
The reel spool is quite a big one.........have you thought about some line backing to take up the bulk?.....you could wrap some cheap electrical tape around the spool to build it up........and then add your line.
You only need 150 yds of 10lb line attached to the backing for what you are doing......fill the spool to about 5mm below the spool lip.
You will cast easier and further if you do it.......and present the bait better.
The 6lb? leader will give before you're mainline in the event of a snag you can't get free of.
Having the lighter line......you could also try some small lures.....like Meps.

Not knocking what you have....nor what you are doing....just trying to help mate ;)
Hey all help appreciated :) :thumbsup:although I have no idea what any of that means???? My knowledge of fishing is line hook worm water. Spinners thats it. Line is heavy duty and reel and rod. None of it is mine, Claires ex husbands stuff he left rotting in the shed. Using a weight from a crab handline. Using nightcrawlers as bait. Have set up a maggot farm but is making me puke everytime I open the lid

I have read that the main species that come upstream are Flounder, Bass, Mullet and Eel? I Wont eat Eel, but will give the rest a try.
worms for the flounder and eels, bread flake for the mullet but they are notoriously difficult to catch and if you can get some live or frozen sand eel for the bass

A suggestion mate.......fisherman in general are only too pleased to help new comers........next time you are out.....look for another fisherman and ask his advice.....in fact.....ask a few ;)
Having someone next to you explaining is easier than reading input on here.

Shame you are so far away :(

The fish won’t know what rod and reel you use Jon but as @1 shot willie said. Dropping down strength in line will definitely help your bait presentation. Also and us fishermen don’t really like to say but the lighter the line the bigger the fish feels :lol:.

I would suggest targeting a certain species and adapting your gear to suit buddy. Just the line and hooks. If you can get a couple of swivels and smaller hooks. Also a maggot feeder. Go with the heaviest feeder if you intend on using the sea rod. When you have all this. Make a running ledger. In fact as am typing am on my way to the shed. PM me your address buddy. I have oodles of gear lol a will hook you up lol

Then I stand corrected Jon, it was a lot of years ago
A suggestion mate.......fisherman in general are only too pleased to help new comers........next time you are out.....look for another fisherman and ask his advice.....in fact.....ask a few ;)
Having someone next to you explaining is easier than reading input on here.

Shame you are so far away :(
Been here 3.5 years and walk that bit everyday. Never seen another fisherman.
Been further upstream to a well used fishing spot and everyone has attitude
The fish won’t know what rod and reel you use Jon but as @1 shot willie said. Dropping down strength in line will definitely help your bait presentation. Also and us fishermen don’t really like to say but the lighter the line the bigger the fish feels :lol:.

I would suggest targeting a certain species and adapting your gear to suit buddy. Just the line and hooks. If you can get a couple of swivels and smaller hooks. Also a maggot feeder. Go with the heaviest feeder if you intend on using the sea rod. When you have all this. Make a running ledger. In fact as am typing am on my way to the shed. PM me your address buddy. I have oodles of gear lol a will hook you up lol
Wow thank you so much Ark

Back