• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Gooseberry Woes.

The Boogie Man

Quite Addicted
Our Gooseberry bush got attacked last year with caterpillers, they decimated the leaves, luckily after the harvest. Going to have to keep an eye on this. The birds helped out a bit as I often saw them on the bush taking caterpillers, but they multiplied so quickly.

Were these gooseberry sawfly caterpillars? lf so, you can get a biological control to put on the soil but it needs to be applied before you see them. lf you can remember when you found them last year, it needs to be applied about a month earlier. Find it under "Fruit and vegetable protection". Or pick them off by hand!

Were these gooseberry sawfly caterpillars? lf so, you can get a biological control to put on the soil but it needs to be applied before you see them. lf you can remember when you found them last year, it needs to be applied about a month earlier. Find it under "Fruit and vegetable protection". Or pick them off by hand!
I reckon they were Barbara, I'll check it out.

You can also net the bushes early using a fine mesh to prevent the eggs being layed on the underside of the leaves, this will also protect the fruit

Back