• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Gorton Bothy

MildredsSmurf

Extremely Talkative
I've been to this bothy a couple of times before. Bam hadn't been so I decided to take him there. The genius that I am had remembered the breakfast this time, but had forgotten my gaiters so we stopped at the Green Welly shop where I spent an exorbitant amount on some inferior gaitors to help me cross the streams on the way. After the Green Welly shop the roads were getting quite saucy with snow and we passed a couple of accidents where folk had misjudged conditions. Luckily though we took our time and reached the parking spot for the 6-mile walk to the bothy.

It was constant sleet on our back for the two-hour walk to the bothy.
20191214_141607_HDR.jpg

We reached the bothy soaking. It was about 2c and the bothy was freezing with a broken window to contend with. We were glad we'd bought the 10 kg of coal.
20191214_161902_HDR.jpg

With the fire going we laid out our gear..
20191215_084703_HDR.jpg

Bam made the scran - a nice spicy pasta.
20191214_165943_HDR.jpg

After scran it was time for a few drinks, but I hit the hay early. I had a warm night, as did Bam, despite this bothy being a colder bothy than others we have stayed in.
In the morning I emerged to see there had been a small bit of snow.
20191215_083950_HDR.jpg

The bothy wasn't far below the snow line...
20191215_083912_HDR.jpg

After brekky that I'd remembered this time, we packed up, swept up and then headed home. I highly recommend that if you ever visit here that you climb the hill above the bothy and look over the wide expanse of Rannoch Moor, but we weren't in the mood for that this day and simply walked back to the car.
20191215_110000_HDR.jpg

20191215_111550_HDR.jpg

It's always good to be out :)

Can't really add anything, it was great to get out and blow the cobwebs off. We had a night out in the fleshpots of Dollar the night before and at least there was a local Coop for some breakfast based supplies (except tattie scones, the savages !).

It was a cold bothy, not helped by the broken window but we got a chance to try out different kit including Smurf's new gaiters that took him about 10 minutes to figure out. :rofl: I trialled my cheap Aldi 2 season down bag with my softie suit (Noggie top underneath) and ended up with 3 pairs of socks on and it was toasty, shamagh was drapped across my napper when needed. Weather wise it wasn't worth going to the top of the hill to see Rannoch Moor in all its splendor, as we were leaving it was closing in although we pretty much made it all the way back to the car before the weather caught up. We'll be heading out again in January, we'll put it up here once we've figured out when/where*.

*Plans WILL change when Smurf is involved...... :lol:

Stunning pictures guys.... And quite a walk in.....good on you :thumbsup:
The Bothy looks lovely.... And a welcoming shelter.
How old do you reckon it is.... How long it has been there?
Thanks for sharing

Ponchos next time Ooot? :thumbsup::D

:xmas-cool:

Nice write up guys , cheers for sharing , Al and I always hide any unused fuel for future visits , not quite the idea in a Bothy but fits the sentiment of leaving the place usable for the next visitors 👍

Aye, if you're going back to a spot then its worth stashing stuff. I hide stuff at my wee spot in Devilla, thinking of taking it further and having a hidden plastic barrel with tins etc.

One things for sure the mice would have been oot in the cold that night...... Not that you two can snore for scotland🐀🐀🐀...... Next time your going let me know..... Will bring my tent😁

We'll give you a shout mate, hoping to get away early January. As for the rest...... balderdash and piffle neither of us snore, well maybe Smurf does a little.......

Stunning pictures guys.... And quite a walk in.....good on you :thumbsup:
The Bothy looks lovely.... And a welcoming shelter.
How old do you reckon it is.... How long it has been there?
Thanks for sharing

Ponchos next time Ooot? :thumbsup::D

:xmas-cool:
The bothy has an interesting history. It was lived in until the 50s and there is a plaque up in the bothy with it's history. In the 50 years of MBA book there is also an article written by a man who grew up in that bothy about what life was like there - good reading! :D

The bothy has an interesting history. It was lived in until the 50s and there is a plaque up in the bothy with it's history. In the 50 years of MBA book there is also an article written by a man who grew up in that bothy about what life was like there - good reading! :D

@MildredsSmurf :xmas-smilie:

Thanks for that buddy......much appreciated!
I will definitely look for the book.....would love to read his story.
Life there must have been a mixture of laughter and tears.........a hard...... but hopefully a peaceful life :):thumbsup:

Hi again Smurf.

Had a look around and could not find the article.
But did find this interesting.

Wish I had found the site earlier.....I would have bought the Christmas cards for sure :xmas-smilie:
Will be ordering the calendar :thumbsup:

Hi again Smurf.

Had a look around and could not find the article.
But did find this interesting.

Wish I had found the site earlier.....I would have bought the Christmas cards for sure :xmas-smilie:
Will be ordering the calendar :thumbsup:
Braw - Glad you find out. Incidentally, the January photo on that calendar is mine of the Lairig Leacach when Bam and I visited it on a snowy February!

Just ordered this book......I reckon it will make for some good reading. :xmas-smilie:

We are off on Holiday late January so I will try to save it till then.....IF I can :rolleyes: 🤭 :D
His last hillwalker book is excellent. I've got that book too, but have still to read it!

Back