• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Got a good haul of firewood today.

divebuddy

Staff member
Filled the back of the Freelander with some good wood. Now just got to split and stack.
DSC_0584.JPG
DSC_0585.JPG

what sort is it Dick? the ones in the foreground look like apple
Not sure Joe as I just took what was on the pile. I will ask Colin next week. Could be something weird as it's from a national trust garden where I do some volunteer work.

Not sure Joe as I just took what was on the pile. I will ask Colin next week. Could be something weird as it's from a national trust garden where I do some volunteer work.
It certainly looks good mate, put a couple of bits to one side and see if you get any shakes in it. If you don't it might be nice to carve

Nasty curve on the chainsaw cuts, you may benefit from getting your depth rakers on your chain filed down a little or a new chain...you will save cutting time and a fortune in fuel.
I can't tell for certain from the photos but it looks like sycamore which makes brillient firewood.

Nasty curve on the chainsaw cuts, you may benefit from getting your depth rakers on your chain filed down a little or a new chain...you will save cutting time and a fortune in fuel.
I can't tell for certain from the photos but it looks like sycamore which makes brillient firewood.
Not my chainsaws. All cut by the garden team at local national trust.

Started to split the last load and the motor burned out on the log splitter. Got a new pump and motor from the supplier and upgraded from 4ton to 7ton pressure. What a difference! Goes through really gnarly timber easily. About two thirds of the way through this load.
DSC_0632.JPG

Nice job of splitting. It pays to get it split and stacked like that ASAP so it's off the ground and drying...:thumbsup:

Not my chainsaws. All cut by the garden team at local national trust.

Started to split the last load and the motor burned out on the log splitter. Got a new pump and motor from the supplier and upgraded from 4ton to 7ton pressure. What a difference! Goes through really gnarly timber easily. About two thirds of the way through this load. View attachment 13333
Mine (mother in laws)comes ready split but by the time Friday comes I'll have another 4 tonnes to stack

It certainly looks good mate, put a couple of bits to one side and see if you get any shakes in it. If you don't it might be nice to carve

After my own heart there. All my log boxes are full or close to it but I've still got a pretty good stock of various hardwoods of various sizes and shapes isn't just "come in" foe a project or two.

As a follow on question what do you consider is the best wood for burning in a wood burner? My personal choice is beech and ash

Finely split dry birch or pine as morning wood...beach, sycamore and ash through the day and some big lumps of oak overnight to keep it in.
I tend to burn whatever comes my way and since I do a lot of tree work it varies. I get all sorts of fruit wood and prunings from ornamental tres as well. I recently had some rather nice wood from a smoke tree with beautiful yellow and black figuring (that didn't get burned)

Back