• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Got the Peanuts

What is your soil like Kublai? I would love to have a go at growing peanuts but I'm guessing that everything in the food chain from blue tits up to badgers and everything in between would've at them...:(

Rich loam clay, been adding compost for Donkeys years. The patch is close to the house so I can keep an eye out. I think Peanuts will be a safe-ish crop as they mature underground.

What about trying some chickpeas whilst waiting for the frost to clear off? Just read that you can plant these 3 weeks before the last frost. Apparently, you grow them as an exotic and eat them when they are green rather than drying them. Factsheet and link to sprouting seeds

I think pickled peanuts could be nice, especially if you add the spices they use in Louisiana, kind off a pickled version of the boiled ones you buy at the side of the road in the south. Once you get over the texture they are really good... no time at all and you have gotten through a bag. Must admit I have tried making them a few times, but can never get that southern taste right.

Rich loam clay, been adding compost for Donkeys years. The patch is close to the house so I can keep an eye out. I think Peanuts will be a safe-ish crop as they mature underground.
Considering what the voles have done to my apple trees I doubt peanuts would stand a chance in my soil.:(

Started some Roma plum toms, outdoor variety.
Sowed Purple Basil.
Planted some Peanuts in pots to test germination------exited:D
Maris Piper spuds chitting away.
Chomping at the bit to plant Peas & Beans.

The first lot of Peanuts failed to germinate, too cold (windowsill). The next batch will go into a heated germinator, that'll sort it I reckon.

The first lot of Peanuts failed to germinate, too cold (windowsill). The next batch will go into a heated germinator, that'll sort it I reckon.
Likewise my tomatoes. Maybe they would be OK if l kept the house at the same temperature as most people seem to these days.

Back