• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Government consultation on banning long blades or machetes

I didn’t think the peoples views would make any difference 👎 personally I think it’s just a formality.

I haven’t read it yet but I can imagine it’s another way of using knives as a door to increase policing power for stop and search or a like 🤷🏼‍♂️

And again the only people who will truly suffer from this is folk like us as it’s already a crime to stab or cut someone or brandish anything as a weapon with intent to harm or threaten so these new laws don’t increase their chance’s of stopping crime it only increases their power over a person.

Just my view right enough

Last edited:
Put it this way, if you get burgled or you have an FAC visit and the coppers lawfully enter your house they can take your sharps if they see them.

Last edited:
I can't say that I feel at any futher risk than I do at the moment. When I drive to a bushcraft meet or go camping on private land I have in the car with me a fixed blade knife and probably an axe or two. Going to the September meet I will also have a draw knife in my toolbag - specifically excluded in the list. At other times I may have my two-man saw - specifically excluded. Possibly my machette with a blunt point - specifically excluded. As things stand the biggest risks are my bushcraft knife and my Laplander saw which, on public land, I would need to show reasonable cause to have them. They will be amongst a car full of camping gear - QED. If they apply this new law and the coppers come into my house they would have to go into my 'green room' to find them. They are amongst all my other camping and bushcraft equipment, piles of it! QED - I think. In the circumstances, to suggest that a 72 year old man with a clean criminal record is about to commit violence with these things is patently laughable.

I can't say that I feel at any futher risk than I do at the moment. When I drive to a bushcraft meet or go camping on private land I have in the car with me a fixed blade knife and probably an axe or two. Going to the September meet I will also have also have a draw knife in my toolbag - specifically excluded in the list. At other times I may have my two-man saw - specifically excluded. Possibly my machette with a blunt point - specifically excluded. As things stand the biggest risks are my bushcraft knife and my Laplander saw which, on public land, I would have to show reasonable cause to have them. They will be amongst a car full of camping gear - QED. If they apply this new law and the coppers come into my house they would have to go into my 'green room' to find them. They are amongst all my other camping and bushcraft equipment, piles of it! QED - I think. In the circumstances, to suggest that a 72 year old man with a clean criminal record is about to commit violence with these things is patently laughable.
I would probably have some difficulty justifying some of the objects that occasionally come into my possession.

Back