• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

GPS Units for Geocaching

Prime

Very Addicted
Just asking , anyone here Geocache? and if so what machines ( if any ) are you using??

Most people use their smart phones now with the c:geo app. Although you can get as nerdy as you want. When I started there was 7 caches in all of Devon! Started with an Etrex gps then had a pda and so on. Rarely do it now as the quality of cache locations has dropped. I still think it is a good passtime if you like visiting new places and exploring. I have climbed mountains in blizzards, waded through lakes in snow storms, ventured down several mines and slithered through long pot holes. None of which I would have done were it not for geocaching.

Agreed ref the getting you out to some new and interesting places , checking the Geocache website there is now ALOT of caches to explore - all good things to do when I get a little bored.

Ref the unit I've purchased a unit from Cotswold outdoors who operate a 28 day no quibble refund policy so I'll be pacing my smartphone alongside the dedicated unit and vice versa , if the phone comes out as an equal in terms of locating ( bearing in mind phones tend to operate from Mast units rather than true GPS ) i'll return it for a refund.

The Unit I've currently got operates off two different 'sets' of satellites one American and the other a Russian set so in theory the coverage and probability to get a secure location is increased. At least thats the theory....

Sounds like an accurate unit. The problem is most caches are set using a gps from a smart phone so the co-ords won't be that accurate anyway :)

Garmin Etrex 20 last time we went out - not mine, but it seemed to be pretty good.

Got a unit now and will be running it alongside the phone to measure accuracy.

You will find consistent discrepancies between them. We ran the Etrex 20 and an iphone app together and found the Etrex 20 more accurate - however my buddy that I geocache with has been to other locations and found the opposite effect. I guess it is stating the obvious but the caches are accurate for the device used to place them :)

Kinda like looking for buried treasure. You hunt for items by getting the gps coordinates from what I understand, full info on the website.

Do you think that geocaching is the techy version of orienteering ?

Spent many a fun hour running around with map and compass trying to find check points.

...........always happy to see SAR :rolleyes::rofl:

Do you think that geocaching is the techy version of orienteering ?

Spent many a fun hour running around with map and compass trying to find check points.

...........always happy to see SAR :rolleyes::rofl:

Lol!

I think its a bit of a hybrid blend between Traditional Letterboxing , Orienteering , Puzzles and general bimbles in new areas you wouldn't necessarily go to.

Back