• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

greenway's

Second fire went well. Had my lunch with a nice view.
IMG_20220105_125049.jpg
IMG_20220105_133521.jpg

IMG_20220105_131355.jpg
IMG_20220105_131338.jpg
IMG_20220105_131350.jpg

So here it is! In 1987 I started my career as a River Warden on that very estuary, the amazing River Dart, a dream of a job I carried on as a Warden/Water Bailiff/Fishers Officer until I retired in 2015 at the age of 57. Back then I had 12 licences Salmon nets to keep an eye on, and make sure they were keeping to the rules, mostly they were, but I did need the odd word at times! They were a great bunch, real characters, who I loved the banter with them.

I also sorted out a few illegal Salmon poachers, I was a fit, strong, belligerent rugby player, who had plied his trade at Torquay and formally Brixham, the latter being known for its physical approach to the game back then……I didn’t mind a bit of confrontation, I did it for a hobby! 🤣

I only did a couple of years on the estuary, before I was offered the Upper Dart beat. I grabbed it with both hands, for me the Dart Estuary was a dream, but to have the Dart on Dartmoor was another level, every Water Bailliff in the county wanted the non tidal Dart…..And it was mine!

So, being Torquay born and bred living there until 14, then 10 years in Paignton and 9 years in Brixham, we upped the family and moved to the Dartmoor National Park, all expenses paid, back then you had to live on patch and work from home. My absolute love affair with Dartmoor was really under way, although I always had a hankering for the Moor. But I was third in line skipper for our coastal Patrol boat, so got my taste of salt a couple of times a month. 👍

I didn’t have a job, I had a way of life, a Torquay Council Estate boy with not a qualification to his name, ending up with the lifestyle I had. Due to cutbacks, VR was being offered, and as much as I loved the job, the package was just too good to let slip by, so I took the money and run! We still live in the same bungalow in the Park, and I still see some of my rugby mates from the bay, but they often ask the question……”Would you ever think of mov” ………That’s as far as they get! I have to be careful I don’t offend them…..But no. 👍😀

So that’s me. 👍😀😀👍

So here it is! In 1987 I started my career as a River Warden on that very estuary, the amazing River Dart, a dream of a job I carried on as a Warden/Water Bailiff/Fishers Officer until I retired in 2015 at the age of 57. Back then I had 12 licences Salmon nets to keep an eye on, and make sure they were keeping to the rules, mostly they were, but I did need the odd word at times! They were a great bunch, real characters, who I loved the banter with them.

I also sorted out a few illegal Salmon poachers, I was a fit, strong, belligerent rugby player, who had plied his trade at Torquay and formally Brixham, the latter being known for its physical approach to the game back then……I didn’t mind a bit of confrontation, I did it for a hobby! 🤣

I only did a couple of years on the estuary, before I was offered the Upper Dart beat. I grabbed it with both hands, for me the Dart Estuary was a dream, but to have the Dart on Dartmoor was another level, every Water Bailliff in the county wanted the non tidal Dart…..And it was mine!

So, being Torquay born and bred living there until 14, then 10 years in Paignton and 9 years in Brixham, we upped the family and moved to the Dartmoor National Park, all expenses paid, back then you had to live on patch and work from home. My absolute love affair with Dartmoor was really under way, although I always had a hankering for the Moor. But I was third in line skipper for our coastal Patrol boat, so got my taste of salt a couple of times a month. 👍

I didn’t have a job, I had a way of life, a Torquay Council Estate boy with not a qualification to his name, ending up with the lifestyle I had. Due to cutbacks, VR was being offered, and as much as I loved the job, the package was just too good to let slip by, so I took the money and run! We still live in the same bungalow in the Park, and I still see some of my rugby mates from the bay, but they often ask the question……”Would you ever think of mov” ………That’s as far as they get! I have to be careful I don’t offend them…..But no. 👍😀

So that’s me. 👍😀😀👍
That’s great background BR. 👍🏻

I often wonder about the ‘former’ lives of people who post up on this site, especially when issues relating to
looking out for the rural environment here in the UK - rural security/land ownership issues are involved.

Back