• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ground Sheet

DMc Outdoors

Extremely Talkative
Hi guys, sorry to bother everyone with a question that probably seems silly but I’m after a bit of advice regarding a ground sheet. I want one for a single person that is strong but can be packed down small for a backpack, preferably one with its own little bag. I’ve looked online but all I ever seem to find is really big massive ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated 👍🏻

Hi guys, sorry to bother everyone with a question that probably seems silly but I’m after a bit of advice regarding a ground sheet. I want one for a single person that is strong but can be packed down small for a backpack, preferably one with its own little bag. I’ve looked online but all I ever seem to find is really big massive ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated 👍🏻

No eyelets on these though they could be added if you bought an eyelet kit

Tough as old boots & lightweight. I think they are 8ft x 4 ft or 9ft x 5 ft :thumbsup:

Yea Bam, I'm going to head down to B&M or Home Bargains and get a cheapo for a groundsheet too.

Just back from Tesco and in their 'assorted crap for a quid' section they had some tarps too, I don't think I've tried theirs yet (I'm guessing they all come from the same place though) but when I picked one up I got the "oh aye, cos you don't have any of them...." so I'll need to wait until I'm there on my jack. ;)

Not a fan of ground sheets as with they can with the right wind and rain conditions become an indoor pool!

a small cheep blue tarp could be used as one if required and could double up as a firewood cover, wind break etc. The key is to make sure it is smaller than your tarp and doesn’t stick out at all.

I'm currently looking for an off cut of the silver foil thermal insulation, the stuff like bubble wrap.. About 1.2 m by 2 m.
I intend to put in some eyelets for ground nails. That would weigh next to nothing and roll up to a smaller diameter than a sleeping mat.

I'm currently looking for an off cut of the silver foil thermal insulation, the stuff like bubble wrap.. About 1.2 m by 2 m.
I intend to put in some eyelets for ground nails. That would weigh next to nothing and roll up to a smaller diameter than a sleeping mat.

I've had my eye on those rolls too, for now I'm getting by with the car windscreen cover for freezing. They're about the right size and you can fold them down small. Gives a bit more protection for an air mat from anything underneath too.

Not a fan of ground sheets as with they can with the right wind and rain conditions become an indoor pool!

I've only had that twice in all the years of camping and both times were extreme.

Croatia: massive thunderstorm, caused flash flooding. Only after three or so hours someone moved the debris in one "stream" to get a flow going to stop a "lake" to burst its banks. Only to cause that debris to create another "stream" that hit our tent. Joy of campsites, eh. I spotted the issue before the water came into the inner tent. Created a moat around and all was good.

NZ: 2-3 days of heavy rain raised the water level of the nearby river to flood the area we had pitched on, over night. Luckily only about 5cm deep so not high enough to enter the inner tent. Not the best place to camp but we were tired after a long day and wanted to get dry and warm. We were due to move on that am anyway, so it was just a very wet tent that got packed down.

So not really the fault of the ground sheet both times. But boy I'm I glad that panniers are waterproof.

We have camped in some real remote places, on not perfect ground and in really crap weather and bar these two above times. We haven't had issues with our ground sheet.

A good fitted and placed ground sheet wouldn't cause flooding.

A cheap pound one sounds good to me, definitely want one with eyelets I think to hold it in place, if it’s that cheap I can also cut it down to the correct size I want, which should by all rights roll down into a nice little package and then I just need to find or make a little waterproof bag to with a drawstring on it and bobs your uncle, I’ll let you know how I get on 👍🏻

A cheap pound one sounds good to me, definitely want one with eyelets I think to hold it in place, if it’s that cheap I can also cut it down to the correct size I want, which should by all rights roll down into a nice little package and then I just need to find or make a little waterproof bag to with a drawstring on it and bobs your uncle, I’ll let you know how I get on 👍🏻
If it's not teaching you to suck eggs, the cheap spikes for putting down the weed killing matting work well. Flat tops mean you don't end up catching yourself on them.

Had a wee browse around all the cheap shops today and the only ones I could find were bright blue so i’m going to keep searching online. Honestly I’m my own worst enemy with this, I’m so indecisive 😩

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
Seen DD’s version, the magic carpet, which is perfect but not sure I can bring myself to part with £20 quid for something that just goes on the ground 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Bam
I have a couple of German army groundsheets. Think they came from Military Mart or Military 1st. They were £1.99 in the early days but I think they are £4.99 now. Approx 1+ metre by 2+ metres and they have a strengthening weave inside and are tough
WP_20160930_12_08_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20160930_12_09_13_Pro.jpg
. Roll up small and slip behind the side pockets on rucksack.

I have a couple of German army groundsheets. Think they came from Military Mart or Military 1st. They were £1.99 in the early days but I think they are £4.99 now. Approx 1+ metre by 2+ metres and they have a strengthening weave inside and are toughView attachment 20263View attachment 20264. Roll up small and slip behind the side pockets on rucksack.
That looks decent actually, I know someone who can put some eyelets in for me too thanks 👍🏻

Just checked on internet. Military Mart are charging £5 now but are out of stock. Might be worth registering for warning when they are in stock again.

Back