• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Prime

Very Addicted
An interesting read that Keith and I rather obviously agree with the original OP regarding the benefits of group dynamics.

I read all the comments and feel I maybe should point out that I too may not 'ENJOY' the involvement of being part of a medium size group as its true a new aspect understanding others is required. But we're not talking about the act of 'enjoyment' - we are discussing the act of survival and how to improve ones chances.

For the benefit of the fact it maximises the probability of survival I would accept the burden of living within a group but also understand it brings ( I feel ) much more to the table than it takes away. A varied skill set and additional levels of manpower for all things.

I don't think there is much change of requirements between the scenario of period colonial living and what may occur in a modern day collapse if you fear other people as a threat.

I'm sure as 'preppers' we tend to fall into very distinct separate camps on this - the group advocates and the individualists. I wouldn't even call the second group pure survivalists because that seems to suggest being a survivalist REQUIRES one to think in that way - to me its just a different mindset and strategy.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
there are two sorts of group dynamics, one is the "family unit" sort of group- either immediate family or an extended family- which will probably be what most UK groups consist of , family and family only.
the other is the group of complete strangers who come together post SHTF, not through any sort of shared history, but purely through "need"- the need to simply survive, people one has never known before the event happened, can one trust such individuals? probably not! does one turn ones back on such people? remember one has to sleep sometimes!.

Prime

Very Addicted
t, people one has never known before the event happened, can one trust such individuals? probably not! does one turn ones back on such people? remember one has to sleep sometimes!.

Thats interesting - Your response regarding 'One has to sleep sometime' is exactly one of the reasoning's I use for the group opt in advantage . Mutual defence , sentry and protection.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
same thing applies in both cases, security and defence.
in the lone wolf setting you MAY be found, in the group setting they are already there.