• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Guidelines For Any Discussion.

Keith

Very Addicted
Discussion.jpg

Well to be truthful there has been a certain amount of bickering and Micky taking recently:whistle:

it would be a boring old place if everyone thought the same:lol: I never did like a load of "yes" men.

Why post this??
Why not? Actually this came to light when talking to my wife about some of the members on an Australian forum. She showed me this paper on discussion, & I thought it was very good. Personally I think we do very well on this forum, it is the best I have been on except for the one that I run. But I didn't see any harm in posting it here for reference.
Does that answer your question Brownbear?
Keith.

Not so sure about that, this forum has produced some good ideas out of bickering. :rofl:

I agree m8 it has, but of late there seems to be rather a lot of unpleasantness creeping in to things. People disagree with each other and that's just a part of life but a forum, such as this, is for an exchange of ideas. Those ideas are not always able to be accompanied with "proof" and yet a small group persist in asking for proof for almost everything that is stated. This is not an academic forum, proof cannot be provided for a potential series of future events that may not happen.

It concerns me that we seem to have lost regular contribution from a small but dedicated number of folks who, possibly, have been driven away by the bickering.

Time we all got back on track perhaps :)

I agree m8 it has, but of late there seems to be rather a lot of unpleasantness creeping in to things. People disagree with each other and that's just a part of life but a forum, such as this, is for an exchange of ideas. Those ideas are not always able to be accompanied with "proof" and yet a small group persist in asking for proof for almost everything that is stated. This is not an academic forum, proof cannot be provided for a potential series of future events that may not happen.

It concerns me that we seem to have lost regular contribution from a small but dedicated number of folks who, possibly, have been driven away by the bickering.

The only time I would ask for a link to 'proof' is IF an opinion is being passed off as accepted FACT.

In that circumstance I think its acceptable.

Speaking personally I've got zero issue with anyone holding an opinion and stating it as such even if its diametrically opposed to my own.

The only time I would ask for a link to 'proof' is IF an opinion is being passed off as accepted FACT.

In that circumstance I think its acceptable.

Speaking personally I've got zero issue with anyone holding an opinion and stating it as such even if its diametrically opposed to my own.

Sometimes "proof" is not available for people to give. I think it is acceptable for academic reasons i.e. if someone wishes to research the matter further, but other than that we are all free to cherry pick from what we are told, just as in any other conversation. But this is not an academic forum, merely an exchange of views.

I think that disagreement is healthy, particularly when discussing potential future events that may not actually happen. The joy of the human condition is that a group of people will have as many viewpoints as the amount of people within that group. That people express those views in different ways is also beneficial to all (the best example of this is to watch live parliament for half an hour where this can be seen at work).

I only ask for proof when it gets stated as fact You simply cannot say something is fact without being asked for a reason. That’s just the way it is.

I only ask for proof when it gets stated as fact You simply cannot say something is fact without being asked for a reason. That’s just the way it is.

Sadly I seldom see proof being offered by some who ask for it. It should be two way street. But, as I have stated more than once in this thread it is difficult for anyone to provide proof for a series of potential events that may never happen.

Disagree with others by all means but some, and sadly Mark I include you in this, do call others out over their views. Just please accept that people do not always agree with each other. I am of the opinion that the forum is losing members over the bickering and maybe if we all take a deep breath and just accept each others' differences we would have a better more robust group.

Sometimes "proof" is not available for people to give. I think it is acceptable for academic reasons i.e. if someone wishes to research the matter further, but other than that we are all free to cherry pick from what we are told, just as in any other conversation. But this is not an academic forum, merely an exchange of views.

I think that disagreement is healthy, particularly when discussing potential future events that may not actually happen. The joy of the human condition is that a group of people will have as many viewpoints as the amount of people within that group. That people express those views in different ways is also beneficial to all (the best example of this is to watch live parliament for half an hour where this can be seen at work).

Something many of us are interested in on this forum is global warming/climate change. On that Australian forum there are a lot of Donald Trump supporters who don't believe in climate change. They get quite rude in their comments, but none of them can produce any proof that climate change does not exist. Hence my posting the Guidelines for Discussion. There is plenty of evidence to prove that global warming is a very real issue, & it is happening right now.
Keith.

Something many of us are interested in on this forum is global warming/climate change. On that Australian forum there are a lot of Donald Trump supporters who don't believe in climate change. They get quite rude in their comments, but none of them can produce any proof that climate change does not exist. Hence my posting the Guidelines for Discussion. There is plenty of evidence to prove that global warming is a very real issue, & it is happening right now.
Keith.

You make an interesting point Keith. I often wonder why so many do not accept climate change, but as someone who believes it is happening (based on my own university studies and years of seeing species decline as a birdwatcher) I would struggle to show any clear evidence to change a non-believer's opinion. I can only ever say with certainty that it is best that we don't keep using up the world's resources as quickly as we seem to be in the 21st century as those resources are finite.

Sadly I seldom see proof being offered by some who ask for it. It should be two way street. But, as I have stated more than once in this thread it is difficult for anyone to provide proof for a series of potential events that may never happen.

Disagree with others by all means but some, and sadly Mark I include you in this, do call others out over their views. Just please accept that people do not always agree with each other. I am of the opinion that the forum is losing members over the bickering and maybe if we all take a deep breath and just accept each others' differences we would have a better more robust group.

I do understand and expect the fact I have been party to a few as ..you said...calling out on views. However sir if my view is being said to be wrong then I have every right to defend it along with asking why its wrong and asking why that person thinks there view is right. This is showing interest in the topic. As for people who leave the forum you cannot point fingers for that....there are a number of reasons behind people leaving? Now if you can explain how one can disagree with an other without entering into a debate about who’s information is right and not offering some kind of evidence to support this then I am listening mate? I have a vast respect for this forum and it’s members ..you included! And I am not without empathy however if challenged then I will return that challenge without hesitation

Last edited:
Keith.

It is happening right now...your right Keith...I just hope it’s caught in time before the damage is past fixing

I do understand and expect the fact I have been party to a few as ..you said...calling out on views. However sir if my view is being said to be wrong then I have every right to defend it along with asking why its wrong and asking why that person thinks there view is right. This is showing interest in the topic. As for people who leave the forum you cannot point fingers for that....there are a number of reasons behind people leaving? Now if you can explain how one can disagree with an other without entering into a debate about who’s information is right and not offering some kind of evidence to support this then I am listening mate? I have a vast respect for this forum and it’s meber...you included! And I am not without empathy however if challenged then I will return that challenge without hesitation

Of course you have the right to defend your point of view and indeed I would be disappointed if you didn't, however, comments that are personal (along the lines of "well you would" and "trust you to disagree") are not a positive contribution to any discussion. I think, to be fair, you will accept that you have, on occasions, acted thus. Disagreement is healthy but a metaphorical rolling of the eyes serves nobody well. It may, at this point, be worth remembering that wisdom often comes from the mouths of fools i.e. place more value on the words of those who disagree - they may be right.

Can you give a different perspective on why people are leaving the forum Mark? You say there are a number of reasons, so presumably, some have been in contact with you to let you know (by dint of you being Staff). I have watched this closely for a while and can see a pattern. People join, join in and then leave fairly quickly. It cannot be lack of interest as why would someone join a preppers forum (that they can read without actually joining) unless they were interested in the subject. Is the forum dull as dog muck? If so it is beholden on all of us to make it more interesting. My opinion is that the backbiting may be driving good people away (for example Lonewolf and I both left another different forum not too long back for exactly that reason) and that is to the detriment if the forum.

Back