• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Gutted

lovelife82

Extremely Talkative
Hi,

Went camping last night with my sister and Luna and I’m gutted to say it wasn’t a good experience. Far from it. I wanted to love camping but sadly I just don’t think it’s for me. I primarily bought the gear to go camping with just myself and Luna but having Luna (she’s a husky) caused a lot of stress and I feel she was stressed to. I hadn’t her feathered to a 30 foot lead and she was fine at first, exploring etc but when I was doing the tent and making food she just wanted to be near me and couldn’t. She got stressed and start to but through her harness (which cost £60). Luckily I mamanged to stop her before getting through it all. She hated the tent at first but then settled but moved around a lot during the night. Without realising I much have pitched the tent on a slight slope so I was squashed up against the door of the tent pretty much all night. Had about 2-3 hours sleep. I’m really gutted as I’ve spent quite a bit of money on all the setup and was so excited to get out there but sadly it doesn’t look like it’s for either me or Luna and my sister didn’t enjoy it either. We both feel like we’ve just done a night shift. Don’t know what to say :( Will just have to try and sell my gear and hopefully make as much back as possible. Thanks for all your advice though along the way.

Don't give up yet, you have to give it time, we all go through a bad nights sleep 'often' in some cases, find out what works for you and change what doesn't.

Hi,

Went camping last night with my sister and Luna and I’m gutted to say it wasn’t a good experience. Far from it. I wanted to love camping but sadly I just don’t think it’s for me. I primarily bought the gear to go camping with just myself and Luna but having Luna (she’s a husky) caused a lot of stress and I feel she was stressed to. I hadn’t her feathered to a 30 foot lead and she was fine at first, exploring etc but when I was doing the tent and making food she just wanted to be near me and couldn’t. She got stressed and start to but through her harness (which cost £60). Luckily I mamanged to stop her before getting through it all. She hated the tent at first but then settled but moved around a lot during the night. Without realising I much have pitched the tent on a slight slope
As Al said don't give up on the first try. Wait until you have better weather and pay more attention to where and how you pitch your tent

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't give up yet, you have to give it time, we all go through a bad nights sleep 'often' in some cases, find out what works for you and change what doesn't.

I agree but the whole point was me and Luna and Luna got too stressed being away with me. She has bad separation anxiety but because she’s a husky I can’t let her off lead. She then came home today and vomited, she wasn’t herself, really tired. She slept since 9am this morning and is more herself now. So if I can’t take Luna with me, I’d rather not go. She’s like my child lol.

Brings back memories.... When I worked in forestry hated even the though of camping... But when I became to unfit to wield a chainsaw decided would give it a go with dog, first dozen or so times everything that could go wrong did.... But both myself and my city slicker dog got used to it.... Now lying in tent with my woobie wrapped round me listening to the wind and a cuckoo.... But in the end its your own decision and understand about the dog.... Best of luck what ever you decide👍

Sorry to hear that Amanda, try camping in the back garden to get both you and Luna used to things, you might need to do it a few times to make it 'normal'. The first time I took our dugs away they didn't let have much kip, partly because we were conscious of them and worrying about waking up other campers. It was far from successful. I sometimes take my boy with me when away and he gets it now but he's 5 and as trained as I want him to be.

Give it a week or so to get your 'chi' sorted and at least give it a try before flogging all your gear on an impulse. Good luck

Well that's a blow. I'd defo go with what Bam said. Pitch the tent in the garden and spend a few hours messing about with the dog and sleep in it a few nights to get her used to the idea and used to the different things that go on in camp. A friend has a special camping 'blanky' for his dog that he only uses when making the dogs bed up in the tent. The old boy knows this now and gets all excited when he sees it. As Joe rightly said, it's worth waiting for the better weather and trying again.
Camping is a bit of an art that takes a few times to get right. Please don't give up on the first try. It' worth a bit of effort and once you and the hound get the hang of it, you can really enjoy the freedom it offers.

Last edited:
Yeah, getting Luna used to the tent is a good idea but it’s the fact that she hates being tethered and away from me. She got herself so stressed out to the point she cane home this morning and vomited. She’s just been sleeping pretty much all day which isn’t like her. I don’t want to go camping without her son or sure what else I can do :(

Where was she when she was tethered? and why was she away from you? not criticising just trying to get the picture. Sorry, being a bit dense. Again, try tethering her at home to get her used to it while you're out in the garden. It should all come good if you do things in small steps. She is still a baby after all.
But if you really feel it's not for you, fair enough.

Yeah, getting Luna used to the tent is a good idea but it’s the fact that she hates being tethered and away from me. She got herself so stressed out to the point she cane home this morning and vomited. She’s just been sleeping pretty much all day which isn’t like her. I don’t want to go camping without her son or sure what else I can do :(

Why tether her away from you then ? You maybe need to give us more details but I can't fathom this, I had my pair on lines the first time I took them away and while the girl settled, the boy kept moving around and getting them crossed up so I put them on short lines nearer to us. Mind Luna is still a puppy so still has a bit of developing to do. Honestly, make the tent 'normal' for her, as she's young she'll still be interested in whatever else is happening around and about. If you like the idea of getting away camping then its worth at least giving it a try, getting dugs to do anything can be difficult.

Why tether her away from you then ? You maybe need to give us more details but I can't fathom this, I had my pair on lines the first time I took them away and while the girl settled, the boy kept moving around and getting them crossed up so I put them on short lines nearer to us. Mind Luna is still a puppy so still has a bit of developing to do. Honestly, make the tent 'normal' for her, as she's young she'll still be interested in whatever else is happening around and about. If you like the idea of getting away camping then its worth at least giving it a try, getting dugs to do anything can be difficult.

Because if I tethered her to allow her to be right next to me then she would cause havoc. I wouldn’t have been able to set up tent because she kept jumping on the outside of it and could rip it and if I was cooking she would have been right up to the stove trying to eat the contents like she did after it was cooked. She’s always with me so I wouldn’t have tethered her away (when I say away she was only about 5 metres away from me when she was at the maximum length of her tether) if I didn’t have to. She was ok in the tent once she settled down and stopped trying to bite her way out. That’s why it’s more to do with the tethering than the tent. She can’t be let off lead so would have had to be tied to me and that would have caused the above problems. If I could see a solution then of course I would try it because I’ve just spend £100s on camping gear.

It was just that it was a new experience, she's young and still learning how to react to situations, perhaps it just got a little too much. Next time she'll understand more, know what to expect and react better.

Strange really, LL, your post reminded me of what a total pain in the arse Holly was when I first got her, it taken years of growing together and her learning and maturing. There have been quite a few false starts along the way but we have "learned" each other...she's now probably as good as she'll get.
Luna is still young, expect some mistakes.

Easy decision to make Amanda. Dog first :thumbsup: Huskies don’t sleep all day so she must have been thrown of her stride. Give up on something for the love of an other is a commendable act. Good on ya:D

Still I would hold on to your gear and go for day trips with Luna. Nice quiet woodland or alike. Where yous can stop for a spot of lunch and do a little day camping so not to be to stressful for yous. Never know it Could progress into an overnight .
However if your mind is made then I wish you and Luna all the best hen :thumbsup:

Easy decision to make Amanda. Dog first :thumbsup: Huskies don’t sleep all day so she must have been thrown of her stride. Give up on something for the love of an other is a commendable act. Good on ya:D

Still I would hold on to your gear and go for day trips with Luna. Nice quiet woodland or alike. Where yous can stop for a spot of lunch and do a little day camping so not to be to stressful for yous. Never know it Could progress into an overnight .
However if your mind is made then I wish you and Luna all the best hen :thumbsup:
Great advice Mark

Back