• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Gutted

My first 'proper' camping trip was up in Snowdonia and it pissed down all weekend...I loved it, now dust yourself off and try again, or donate your kit to the local Scouts.

My first 'proper' camping trip was up in Snowdonia and it pissed down all weekend...I loved it, now dust yourself off and try again, or donate your kit to the local Scouts.

Did you read my post lol? I’m not stopping because I didn’t like it. I’m stopping because of how Luna reacted and if only I could afford to donate my gear to the local scouts.

Easy decision to make Amanda. Dog first :thumbsup: Huskies don’t sleep all day so she must have been thrown of her stride. Give up on something for the love of an other is a commendable act. Good on ya:D

Still I would hold on to your gear and go for day trips with Luna. Nice quiet woodland or alike. Where yous can stop for a spot of lunch and do a little day camping so not to be to stressful for yous. Never know it Could progress into an overnight .
However if your mind is made then I wish you and Luna all the best hen :thumbsup:

Thank you Mark. It’s been a life long dream to camp but it’s me and Luna or not at all. She’s my baby and she definitely comes first. Yeah, she definitely wasn’t herself yesterday. More herself today though. The thing with huskies is they are a pack animal and hate being away from their pack (me) for any length of time. She’s usually glued to my leg. Literally can’t do anything without her being there with me. Who knows, maybe when she’s older we can try again. The camping was fine pretty much in the tent but when she was tethered she got so stressed. Half but through her harness to get to me, even though I was only 5m away. Being a husky I can’t let her off lead cos I know she would run if something caught her eye and wouldn’t want to chance not getting her back. So yeah, as much as I would love to camp, at this moment in time, I can’t. I’m disappointed but ok with that.

Thank you Mark. It’s been a life long dream to camp but it’s me and Luna or not at all. She’s my baby and she definitely comes first. Yeah, she definitely wasn’t herself yesterday. More herself today though. The thing with huskies is they are a pack animal and hate being away from their pack (me) for any length of time. She’s usually glued to my leg. Literally can’t do anything without her being there with me. Who knows, maybe when she’s older we can try again. The camping was fine pretty much in the tent but when she was tethered she got so stressed. Half but through her harness to get to me, even though I was only 5m away. Being a husky I can’t let her off lead cos I know she would run if something caught her eye and wouldn’t want to chance not getting her back. So yeah, as much as I would love to camp, at this moment in time, I can’t. I’m disappointed but ok with that.

Fair play :thumbsup: Glad to hear Luna is back to herself:thumbsup:

So one trip and the dogs not happy :rolleyes: Get it used to camping.

“She” wasn’t just not happy. She half bit through her £65 harness. She vomited when she got home and slept all day. She’s a husky so that’s not normal. Maybe you don’t agree or maybe you don’t treat your dogs like I do but that’s enough for me to know that camping isn’t for Luna. If you’ve not got anything useful to say then I suggest keeping your comments to yourself. Both of your comments were sarcastic and tbh, not needed 👍🏻

Sorry, I really don't agree with you, you need to train the dog. Your young and life's highway is ahead of you, if you give up when you meet a pothole you will not get far down that road. I grew up with dogs, labs, they were fantastic on a shoot...after they'd been trained.

My comments were not meant to extract the urine, just reflections on life. Seems to me that like many millennials you don't like your view challenged? Get used to it, life gets tough, train the dog and move on. See ya.

Sorry, I really don't agree with you, you need to train the dog. Your young and life's highway is ahead of you, if you give up when you meet a pothole you will not get far down that road. I grew up with dogs, labs, they were fantastic on a shoot...after they'd been trained.

My comments were not meant to extract the urine, just reflections on life. Seems to me that like many millennials you don't like your view challenged? Get used to it, life gets tough, train the dog and move on. See ya.

I don’t mind being challenged. Not at all. It’s the way you did it. Huskies are one of the strongest willed dogs and they have huge separation anxiety. They will do things, if THEY want to do it. They are a working dog so not as easy to train as you suggest. I know my dog, you don’t. Unless you’ve owned a husky then you really don’t know what they are like. They are very different to most dogs. I know how she was when I went camping and how she was when I came back. A different dog to when I left. Yes I want to go camping but I put Luna over my want. If she’s not comfortable with it, then I won’t do it. Simple as that. Nothing about giving up. Suggest to me how I can stop her from chewing her harness when tethered to get to me? Suggest how I keep her near me and put up a tent or cook, when she is jumping all over the tent and trying to eat the food on the stove? Tell me how to stop her from getting stressed?

In my opinion, for what it's worth as a non-dog owner, you should maybe just ease into the camping habit.
Initially take walks with her where you know there will be nobody around. Maybe somewhere that you'd consider camping in the future. Sit in the woodland peacefully for a short time with her then longer and longer on subsequent visits. Let her (and yourself) get used to the woodland and the noises. Eventually put up a tarp and sit under it with her for a while.
I don't know how you train dogs not to scoff your food but maybe this is something that needs done before you start trying to cook on the ground?
I'd encourage you not to give up. Huskies are certainly bred to be outdoors so I'd think it would be better for her in the long run.

Just my tuppence worth :)

Oh well campings not for your dog and therefore your not likely to enjoy it without her . Sell your gear and find something you both like and enjoy .

Sorry I should have said Scheisse and we are on topic I thought. I understand the original post, I don't understand just giving up at first hurdle, thats not in my nature...I'd not have survived this life if I had.

Sorry I should have said Scheisse and we are on topic I thought. I understand the original post, I don't understand just giving up at first hurdle, thats not in my nature...I'd not have survived this life if I had.

Fair enough lol but it’s probably best to allow the OP the decision on what happens with the camping:thumbsup: respecting @lovelife82 decision is fair play harry.

A think its best to move on from this please :D

Back