• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hammock undeblanket

Woodlander

Very Addicted
After the palaver in the new year of trying to buy an under quilt for my hammock, getting ripped off by an eBay seller from Liverpool via China, and waiting 2 weeks to get my money back, today I made my own. Works well, you can really feel the temperature difference. I don't know why I didn't do it in the first place!? Extra 1.5 kg to my pack but it's worth it

Did you slaughter an old sleeping bag, or where does the material come from?

Yesterday I have seen in a video a US American Bushcrafter who showed there his equipment for a long time bug out bag.

(That typical thing with "we have to leave our home and try to survive in the woods".
(By the way: If we would get any problems somehow in Germany I am quiet sure, that it would be the best to stay at home. We had 1944/1945 a nearly apocalyptic desaster in eastern Germany, and who stood at home in this Winter, usually had less problems than everybody who ran away. But this doesn't matter here. I watched that, because currently I am living out of the ruck sack on long professional journeys and look for Ideas of other people.)

That gui, who surely was a real experienced bushcrafter recommended to take a US Army poncho liner, because that could be used as a hammock under blanket too.

But if this works good, with a few modifications a Snugpack Jungle Bag would do the job as well, because the US poncho liner is nearly the same thing like the Snugpack Jungle bag!

And if that works, it would be intelligent to let this sleeping bag how it is instead of slaughtering it, but attach some necessary lines and loops and so on. So it could be used in both functions: Sleeping bag OR hammock underquilt.
Should this be possible I would prefere this option over every think else!

What do you think about it? Is that possible?

Pictures of the Snugpack Jungle Bag
(exists in olive green too)

Different to most camping sleeping bags this Sleeping bag hasn't one long zipper which goes all around the short and long side.

The Snugpack Jungle Bag has a short zipper at the short side which can be opened from the corner where it meets the other zipper from the long side. If I remember it well, the long side zipper can be opened from both sides.

So it is possible to hang it like a tube around the hammock.
I usually hang it like this on the washing line after washing, I close the zipper so the bag can't fall down.

Of course it has a cord at the hood. At the other side perhaps it's possible just to close the short zipper a bit. If not there it would be necessary to attach a second cord to close it.

As you see, it's very similar to a poncho liner.
But it could make a nice cocoon I guess.

Currently I haven't Jungle bag or Hammock with me, so I can't try it out.

what do you think about it?

If I remember well, the Jungle Bag weights only 900g, that means as an under quilt that's more an option for spring and autumn than for winter weather.
As a sleeping bag it is fine for the summer.

Last edited:
That would be nice!

Make some pictures please!

But attention: I think, it's currently to cold to sleep in it.
The 900 g are very light compared to professional under quilts.

Last edited:
Back