• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hammock Underblankets

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
I have a OneTigris hammock but I'm looking for an underblanket for the winter.
My question is, are they specific to the hammock type? i.e. do I need to buy a OneTigris blanket (which is £72 on Amazon for the winter one!) or doesn't it matter?

TIA

Hi Paul.

If you are keeping the hammock you have now.....would it not be as well to buy the one that is made for it?

Anything else you buy may not be as good a fit......fit is important.
Also attachment points.......if it does not hang properly you may as well leave it at home;):D

As Bill has said really, it is possible to cross match but sometimes the suspension points will need modification.

I have a Snugpak underblanket that fits my TW hammock fine. It has bungee type fixings which attach to the suspension line. Really warm and only about £40. I think I bought it from SOS.

So there should be suspension points on my hammock? Haven't noticed any.

Some do some don't, at the end of the day if it's not a match it's pretty easy to adapt a couple of shock cord lines, I used to tie mine of onto my whoopie slings, just what ever works, some go up over onto a ridgeline as well.

Don't hammock much now but always found a self inflating mat the best option for cold weather

Hi Paul, just looked up my records and I bought it from Soldier of Fortune. SOF. They are currently £44.

Not fitted, not perfect...but very large, and warm and cheap. Military Mart blanket for Czech bedroll sleeping bag. £7 approx...........

Sounds like something to try lol. Milmart only have a grade C at £12.50 currently and they're on Amazon for £40! I've added to my Christmas wish list anyway :)

I have a Snugpak underblanket that fits my TW hammock fine. It has bungee type fixings which attach to the suspension line. Really warm and only about £40. I think I bought it from SOS.

Thanks mate, I've ditched the idea of the OneTigris one, too expensive but will look out for the Snugpak version.

Sounds like something to try lol. Milmart only have a grade C at £12.50 currently and they're on Amazon for £40! I've added to my Christmas wish list anyway :)
No, that's the whole bag...still excellent value, I have 2. The blankets are or were about £6-7....I'd give MM a call, as if they've got bags, they've got blankets.....that, and their website is rubbish?

I have phoned them before, due to a lack of info. on their site, and they couldn't have been more helpful.......

Paul, see if you can pick up one of them cheap Costco down quilts up, should be easy to mod it, to use as hammock under blanket.

I get mine on ebay, a while ago, think i paid £20 for it, very versatile bits of kit :thumbsup:

Just a wee resurrection of this thread.
I've been using the snugpak underblanket for winter camping but still need the insulated roll mat, thermals, and bag liner inside my BA arctic bag.

I've now got myself a large wool blanket (est 2m square); I thought I might try 2 folded layers below me and the rest flapped over the top but not sure if it'd give the same insulating rating as the underblanket. I'd rather not carry both if I can avoid it (Arctic bag: 3.3kg, Underblanket: 1.5kg, Wool blanket: 2.5kg)

Anyone tried a wool blanket instead of a hammock underblanket for sleeping at around 0 degrees?

Sorry, I do not understand that.

Did you use this set up around 0*C?
Snugpack underblanket, roll mat, 3,3 kg military sleeping bag and thermal clothing?

May it be, that your sleeping bag is more than 20years old and totally destroyed?

With thermal clothing I use the Snugpack Special Forces 1 sleeping bag on the thin german army folding mat comfortably till 4C, but it works for me till the border of 0C too, both in the bivvy bag. In the forest, in the open, without tent or tarp, without fire.

This sleeping bag weights round about 1kg. Yes, it's the newest technique, yes it's relatively new, may be I slept only 200 nights in it in the last 3 years. (I own several different sleeping bags, I didn't count.)
Yes, I am a relatively hard gui. I am used to be outside.

But compared to your set up???

What's the point?

Do we need far more insulation in a hammock than on the ground?

Is your Sleeping bag to old? Are the fibres broken?

Or what's the point here?

Indeed, it may be the case that my bag is no longer of much use. I am going to try my son's bag next weekend for a night to see if it fares better. (forecast is around -3C overnight currently)

The point was really to reduce what I'm carrying as a sleep system but yet stay comfortable. But unfortunately I'm not in the position to buy a £100+ bag to replace mine at the moment.

Seems strange that you are needing all that, daft question, when you're in the hammock the underquilt is nestled against the underside with a fraction of space between it and the hammock, and the ends seal ?

If you like winter camping you really should buy a better sleeping bag with a central zipper, useful on the ground and in a hammock, and it has to be new, if you want to save volume and weight.

I am totally convinced about the Snugpack Special Forces 2, additional the SF1 and adapter and the bivvy bag.

I use more the SF1 but I think we have usually a few degrees more in Germany and a better wind protection. So I would recommend you to buy at first the Snugpack Special Forces 2.

The green one is cheaper than the camouflage version. !!!!!!!

I really think you should save the money for the sleeping bag. For winter camping that's the most important piece of equipment!

If your son has a new one, you will see the differences!

If you like winter camping you really should buy a better sleeping bag with a central zipper, useful on the ground and in a hammock, and it has to be new, if you want to save volume and weight.

I am totally convinced about the Snugpack Special Forces 2, additional the SF1 and adapter and the bivvy bag.

I use more the SF1 but I think we have usually a few degrees more in Germany and a better wind protection. So I would recommend you to buy at first the Snugpack Special Forces 2.

The green one is cheaper than the camouflage version. !!!!!!!

I really think you should save the money for the sleeping bag. For winter camping that's the most important piece of equipment!

If your son has a new one, you will see the differences!

I would have to disagree with your line that I've highlighted, for winter camping and in a hammock, because we are talking about a hammock camp, insulation from below is more important, so much so that some hammockers don't use a bag only a quilt /s on top as they use underquilts.

Back