• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hammock with a Difference

Sharpfinger

Slightly Addicted
Morning All,

Probably not exactly what everyone is looking for but none the less it is a related subject to a different thread on the site and there might be something useful here for someone:

This project was embarked upon as part of a solution to get eyes-on a group of so called ‘stealth campers’ who were basically trespassing on private land and through a combination of ignorance and malicious behaviour trashing areas of it.

The requirement was, concealed day and overnight shelter in a slightly elevated position giving a reasonably long range view of a prospective location to which it was known the opposition would return.

We had already used the modified Dutch Army surplus sleeping shelter to good effect a number of times previously but on the later occasion(s) in question additional height above ground was needed, primarily for the extended observations but also because ground conditions at the obs site were practically peat bog standard.

The spark was ignited when someone casually remarked how good it would be if we could somehow elevate one of our obs shelters.

As it happened I had already been working on a hammock/shelter for my own self reliance activities.

Although not a great fan of hammocks, I’ve never got comfortable in one and always felt an air of ‘vulnerability’ when in one, I do like the military folding camp bed (a good source of materials!) and had wondered if I could hammock-ify one to my satisfaction. (See phot 1.)

Some original sections of the bed frame were altered for use as cross beams and some 5mm Dyneema used as the support lines. A few krabs and snap links - job done. Simples!

When well tensioned it was fairly supportive/comfortable.
EEABDE97-8EE5-4284-AF74-21214639660D.jpeg

Also, as a fan of the military anti-mosi tent, I had previously modified one to give it a lower profile. (See image 2).

That had involved fabricating some three-pole-slot elbows (brazed up mild steel tubing) and then cutting down the original shock-corded glass fibre poles and the net to match the profile formed by poles and elbows. I then combined it with the ‘hammock bed’.

The whole combination worked reasonably well.
It was man-packable, it wasn’t too heavy, though it was slightly bulky. (No I wasn’t using it indoors before anyone asks!😆).

6658684A-97A5-4991-9951-8B78F09907A7.jpeg

The above then became the basis for the observations hammock (see phot 3).
Again this worked well during the initial test set up and it was subsequently deployed on the task in mind.

24C612F6-5AB3-41EC-8EE2-A0015B1B0F81.jpeg

Very nice SF.....I would think for a stomach sleeper that would be ni perfect?
Nice build............ a kin to the Bridge Hammock.
What was the outcome of the OP........did you catch the culprits doing the damage and abusing the area?

Very nice SF.....I would think for a stomach sleeper that would be ni perfect?
Nice build............ a kin to the Bridge Hammock.
What was the outcome of the OP........did you catch the culprits doing the damage and abusing the area?
Thanks for the compliments.
1 Shot - Not heard of the Bridge Hammock - I’ll look that up.
Bopdude - have a go it makes for a useful bit of kit and it might open up further ideas fir the rest of us.

As stated the obs hammock was deployed as intended and overnighted in.
As forecast the heavens opened but I remained totally dry and warm. Comfort was a different thing.
There was a fair old wind and throughout the night I was ‘gently’ rocked about. (I wasn’t amongst the redwoods as in the test phot but in a birch copse so less stability from the supports). This wasn’t too bad as far as comfort goes but it brought into play another unforeseen issue later.

The subjects in question were picked up (visually) entering the perimeter of the property at about 2200hrs (we knew roughly what time they would appear!) and they were allowed to continue to their previous site.
I had been informed of the opposition’s presence but due to the light conditions I couldn’t see them, just the flashes and tracks of their torches.

First light came fairly late at the time of year but by the time it did I already had eyes-on the site.
Obs through binos hadn’t proven a problem and although I only had a view of part of their site it was a focal point where they would all come to.

As ambient light improved to the point where recorded evidence was possible, this is where the issue of the previous night unexpectedly came into play - at the (long) distance involved I was using a (long) telephoto lens.
The movement of the obs hammock made it very difficult for the auto focus on the cam to lock-on!
I was shooting out of the side of the bivvy - with hindsight out of the front might have been a better option but not available at that moment.

Trying to manually adjust focus just introduced more movement so in the end I had to surreptitiously exit the hammock and operate the equipment from a standing position. Some good imagery was acquired.

On that occasion it was decided not to confront the subjects in order to acquire yet more evidential imagery on a future trespass occasion which we had learned that they were planning.
Eventually one of them was confronted and under fear for his livelihood was appropriately advised and encouraged to pass the gypsies warning on to his compadres.

Over the last few years we've had occasional issues with doggers using the far end of our drive. We used trail cams to get number plates then went to the DVLA with a request (£5.00 per number plate)
It tends to happen infrequently but when it does happen it's bloody annoying, just one of the joys of rural life.

Thanks for the compliments.
1 Shot - Not heard of the Bridge Hammock - I’ll look that up.
Bopdude - have a go it makes for a useful bit of kit and it might open up further ideas fir the rest of us.

As stated the obs hammock was deployed as intended and overnighted in.
As forecast the heavens opened but I remained totally dry and warm. Comfort was a different thing.
There was a fair old wind and throughout the night I was ‘gently’ rocked about. (I wasn’t amongst the redwoods as in the test phot but in a birch copse so less stability from the supports). This wasn’t too bad as far as comfort goes but it brought into play another unforeseen issue later.

The subjects in question were picked up (visually) entering the perimeter of the property at about 2200hrs (we knew roughly what time they would appear!) and they were allowed to continue to their previous site.
I had been informed of the opposition’s presence but due to the light conditions I couldn’t see them, just the flashes and tracks of their torches.

First light came fairly late at the time of year but by the time it did I already had eyes-on the site.
Obs through binos hadn’t proven a problem and although I only had a view of part of their site it was a focal point where they would all come to.

As ambient light improved to the point where recorded evidence was possible, this is where the issue of the previous night unexpectedly came into play - at the (long) distance involved I was using a (long) telephoto lens.
The movement of the obs hammock made it very difficult for the auto focus on the cam to lock-on!
I was shooting out of the side of the bivvy - with hindsight out of the front might have been a better option but not available at that moment.

Trying to manually adjust focus just introduced more movement so in the end I had to surreptitiously exit the hammock and operate the equipment from a standing position. Some good imagery was acquired.

On that occasion it was decided not to confront the subjects in order to acquire yet more evidential imagery on a future trespass occasion which we had learned that they were planning.
Eventually one of them was confronted and under fear for his livelihood was appropriately advised and encouraged to pass the gypsies warning on to his compadres.

Too much time on your hands mate ....... :whistle:

Thanks for the accolades.

I think it’s really true that necessity is the mother of invention.

Just to qualify the Gucci kit comment - most of the stuff recovered is pretty low quality tat.

I‘ve lost count of the number of ‘festival packs’ we’ve had to drag out - tent;stove;sleeping bag.
Its so cheap that abandoning it is easy as it’s not a big hit on the pocket.

The local Trust manager has had similar on their land with chairs and Barbeques!

Back