• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hand friction in the wood

Bushcraft Rob

Very Addicted
Serious post like most good bushcrafters i do a lot of hand friction?? fire lighting in the woods No 1 hand drill ,No 2 bow and Drill No 3 Egyptian bow and drill No 4 fire saw no 5 rudiger fire roll and a few more whats your favorite Don't go down the avenue of impurities and flint lol been and tried

Been trying the bow drill with no results...well positive results lol. A will stick with this until perfected then move on to other methods

Been trying the bow drill with no results...well positive results lol. A will stick with this until perfected then move on to other methods
First of all @ mark wilson mate what type of wood are you using for your spindle and fire hearth, always willing to help out someone that is willing to learn

Hi rob
Only tried it with pine. So far
Have seen people do old pine floor boards but really struggle due to the resin content. Try go get hold of some seasoned Willow,Lime, or Ivy for the hearth board and hazel for the spindle. I normally pick mine a year in advance and let dry in the boiler cupboard Bearing block try to get some empty limpet shells and let one into the bearing block helps to reduce friction, some folk cheat and use a roller bearing. My preferred woods to use is hazel spindle on ivy heath board can normally get a good ember in in under a min.

Back