• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Have you ever eaten any of these?

Simplestuff

Very Talkative
Sorry if you’re not getting sick of my questions haha. But when we’re on holiday in Dorset we throw lobster pots down daily. We usually put wrasse in them as they’re not easy to catch and apparently don’t taste very nice. In terms of the lobster pots we often get lobster and edible crabs as I know them ( the big brown ones ) we also catch spider crabs and fiddlers as I know them ( red eyes, can pretty much pinch you anyway you grab them except their hind legs )

Anyway, we usually only eat the lobsters and edible crabs. However I know spider crabs and fiddlers are edible. So my question is has anyone’s eaten Wrasse, Spider Crabs or fiddlers (velvet swimming crabs is their common name)?

Sorry, no. Can't help you on this one. But I'm guessing some of the other guys on the forum caught crabs on holiday at some time in the past.

Spider crabs are I think better eating than Brown crabs. They are a bit more fiddly to eat but worth the effort. Can't comment on wrasse or fiddlers crabs though.

Growing up we wouldn't catch the green or brown crabs but I believe spider crabs are a bit of a delicacy. I daresay you could eat them all if you were hungry :)

Back