• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Have You Made Plans?

Keith

Very Addicted
Let's just imagine that where you are suffers a massive hit from an EMP, whether man made or natural doesn't matter right now, we are not likely to know which it is unless we were forewarned. So let's imagine we don't know how it happened. We have a widespread blackout, & we have no idea for how long. We all know what the repercussions of a total blackout will be. In such a disaster, what would you do?
Keith.

The EMP scenario would effect technology in different ways, for instance unless my iPad was switched off and stored in an earthed metal cabinet it would only be any further use as a coffee mug coaster. Steel monocoque chassis cars with the ignition off would be unaffected. Some would survive even if the ignition was on.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
I thought an EMP would fry a car battery even if the ignition was switched off??

Not if its in the car, the steel monocoque chassis acts like a Faraday cage. Of course if you're in an aluminium Landy you're knackered.
Any electronics that are in an earthed conductive metal case or enclosed in an earthed conductive mesh box are effectively protected by a Faraday cage. Best case scenario would be storing electronics in a steel shipping container with its own lightning conductor style earth but most of us don't have space for that.

38thfoot

Very Addicted
Generally speaking the more advanced the electronics the more likely susceptible it is to any form of electronic surge be that through cables or the atmosphere.

It's generally speaking because it's obviously never been tested in an TEOTWAWKI scenario. The fact that it renders the "sheeple" helpless whilst proving the misunderstood prepped right all along is probably why it's so popular in prepper fiction....

lonewolf

I always thought most modern cars would be knackered in the case of an EMP, if its got central locking-like mine has- its probably got some form of electronics and its these that are knackered in an EMP, or at least that's what I've always been lead to believe.
not that it makes any difference as the computers that work the petrol pumps in the filling stations would be knackered anyway.

lonewolf

I don't think you can put a car in a faraday cage, it'd have to be a large one.
or a whole filling station!!!

Barbara

Extremely Talkative
Going back to the original scenario, OH and l would eat all the ice cream in the freezer. On a more serious note, we would stay here where we have alternative water and heating/cooking facilities but we would have to address the problem of no electricity and therefore the food in the freezers (we have 4) defrosting. The milk would be made into cheese (yes, l already make cheese but just for fun), the meat which is mainly pork from when we had pigs, would be salted/made into bacon (yes, we already do the latter), the fruit would be made into jam and the bread based things would have to be eaten before they went mouldy. Thinking about this has made me realise that l need to store more dried food, rather than relying on the freezers which are OK when prepping for the possibility of being snowed in but not for a more extended loss of power than the occasional power cuts here. Right, l'd better go and start now!

lonewolf

once the power goes off and stays off even if we can use the car we will only be able to use it whilst we have fuel in the tank, we have 2 cars so that's 2 fuel tanks, I don't store any fuel due to tenancy rules, if given enough time I may be able to get some extra, we have fuel containers stored away and we always keep the tanks topped up to full.
as far as the house goes we have enough alternative heating, cooking and lighting gear to keep us going for several months.
like Barbara we will have to do something with the contents of the freezers, a bit of salting and smoking will be in order.

Keith

Very Addicted
As I see it, for those that are already living off grid or out in the country or are bugging out ASAP, there is no problem. The people living in the cities who intend to bug in are the ones with a problem. The purpose of this post was to find out if anyone has made plans for such a disaster. I guess it is more a matter of drawing people's attention to the fact that with no electricity, it will be TEOTWAWKI.
Keith.

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
this is one of the most scary Scenarios ,because all the people will be on a slow burn to death ,which would make a
very dangerous and hard to survive situation , nor matter how well you prep for it,
I would like to think I could just sit tight and wait for it to be fixed, or for enough people to die off before
going out, in other words hide

lonewolf

As I see it, for those that are already living off grid or out in the country or are bugging out ASAP, there is no problem. The people living in the cities who intend to bug in are the ones with a problem. The purpose of this post was to find out if anyone has made plans for such a disaster. I guess it is more a matter of drawing people's attention to the fact that with no electricity, it will be TEOTWAWKI.
Keith.
it will be teotwawki for people who don't know any different, for those of us who have lived without electric we will just revert to the way we did it before.

lonewolf

A car IS a Faraday cage and there are other ways to get petrol or diesel out of the underground tanks of a filling station.
and when the tanks are empty what then?:lol:
everything is finite, when its gone its gone for good.

Last edited:

Keith

Very Addicted
and when the tanks are empty what then?:lol:
everything is finite, when its gone its gone for good.
Then you drop the engine & transmission out of it & get a good horse to pull it.
Horse_Power_Car_2_Horse_Pulling_Half_Car.jpg

One horse power 4HD;)
Keith.

lonewolf

yes, plenty of horses around here, personally I prefer donkeys.