• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Having read all the online reviews of the Walther RM8 I'd like your opinions

@Ystranc

Had a look at the reviews and some YouTube clips.
The rifle itself looks to be well made and the Minelli stock is lovely.
Looking at it there seems to be a strong "BSA Superten" influence...... Not a bad thing.
Easy fill and good shot count.
From the video clips the accuracy looked O. K. and could maybe be improved with better pellet selection and trials.

Have you.... Are you going for it?

Finally got have a play with the Walther RM8, I thought it was utterly horrible. Far too much weight forward, so much so that it felt very out of balance. This particular one also had a synthetic stock :fedup: (not nice at all)

The same chap had a almost brand new second hand BSA ultra SE in grey laminate stock, not normally my thang but the rifle felt very well balanced and comfortable to use. A tad more expensive though.

@Ystranc

Thats a shame Mike:( ........if it does not fit and feel right no sense having it :thumbsup:

The B.S.A. Ultras are nice rifles......are you tempted?

@Ystranc

Thats a shame Mike:( ........if it does not fit and feel right no sense having it :thumbsup:

The B.S.A. Ultras are nice rifles......are you tempted?
Very tempted, anyone visiting Carmarthen will be able to bag a bargain this Sunday because I'll be off-loading stuff in order to scrape together £500, then I'll have to play liars poker with Louise and pretend it was only £300 the same as a Cometa bull pup that I also liked. The only let down with the Cometa was that the stock has no comb and is a bit lumpen while the BSA has a half tyrolean comb and beautifully shaped fore stock that I fell for as soon as I picked it up.

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
Looking forward to seeing it Mike......that is of course......IF you are still walking if Louise susses you out. :whistle: :D

Brave Man........how we suffer for our sport eghh :rolleyes::rofl:

Very tempted, anyone visiting Carmarthen will be able to bag a bargain this Sunday because I'll be off-loading stuff in order to scrape together £500, then I'll have to play liars poker with Louise and pretend it was only £300 the same as a Cometa bull pup that I also liked. The only let down with the Cometa was that the stock has no comb and is a bit lumpen while the BSA has a half tyrolean comb and beautifully shaped fore stock that I fell for as soon as I picked it up.

Another man who rules the roost. You're in good company mate. :rolleyes:

The only thing that put me off Ultras was the slightly limited shot count (which is pretty academic for hunting purposes); I did see one which had a scorpion cylinder so compact size but more usable shots.

Bit plain but I’d still recommend an AA410 or 410K.

Done a lot of shooting in my youth, grew bored of it as I have grown up. Played with many makes from walther and air arms to bsa and hatsan. Best and most reliable rifle i ever used and owned was an SMK QB78 custom stock, light and well balanced, refillable bottle, changed the bolt and wham from 11.5 and 35 yds to 45.8 and 150 yds full magnum pellet was turning rabbits heads inside out. Yes I know I should have had an FAC and how irresponsible of me before anyone jumps on my ass. But it was a good tool easy to mod cheap to maintain and parts are 2 a penny. Plus it was fun. Could get a refill tool that you just screwed onto a C02 fire extinguisher and refill your gas bottles. Was so easy and cheap.

QB78? Is that the one with the large screw in bottle? I have a similar one that takes two 12g CO2 bulbs. (30p each from a Dragon Arms) It's the perfect squirreling gun, very light, shortened and moderated. I've taken the telescopic sight off and fitted a very lightweight Daisy red dot open sight that allows me to follow really fast targets. It has almost no recoil and manages ragged hole groups up to around 30 meters.
As you've mentioned Woody, it's possible to mod them far beyond their intended muzzle energy and even the new ones lack effective anti tamper screws. Their problem is poor resale value, no matter how much you improve them they have a very definite ceiling on their value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bam
In defence of the ultra I have a regulator fitted which gets me consistent power and around 70 shots. It's also a fairly lightweight compared to the 410.

I've made a good start so far, I've sold off some of my knife collection.....taking a load more to Carmarthen and listed some real beauties on t'interweb. Proper collectors pieces.

The selling was ok but unfortunately the buying was very, very good...I spent more money than I took on the stall :whistle: :rofl::rofl::rofl:.
I also met an old friend, the Rodgers fire striker knife that I sold months ago has popped up for sale again... I resisted the temptation to buy it back. When I sold it it was mint, now it isn't :(. Some people shouldn't be allowed to try to sharpen knives.

I sold an Elwell, an '88 golock, the Carl Shlieper skinning knife and a few other bits but I came back with an early folding budding knife, several '37 pattern army Jack knives and a 1904 pattern British Army Jack knife by William Rodgers & Sons along with a small pile of named maker 19th C pocket knives.
I pissed a lot of people off today.

Back