• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Heads up Folding Garden Saw @ Lidl

Bargain :)

This looks more robust than the Poundland saw I recently picked up and any kind of warranty is always a good thing.

Think next time I pass a Lidl, I might have to pop in and upgrade.

I've used these professionally and they are easily as good as some saws that cost nearly ten times as much. The only thing that will blunt them quickly in my experience is when you start cutting things in the ground like roots, or if you hit a stone with them. Apart from that they just seem to go on and on, I will be buying at least 4 as I blunted my last ones a couple of years ago and keep missing them when they come up:rolleyes:

I did prefer the old handle design though, a lot less bulky.

I bought two last time they had them in i have used one a lot on soft wood,wet wood, hard wood its stil going strong. I may get some more.

I didn't find them anywhere near as good as either my Bahco laplander or my silkys. i found them adequate, but no more than that. The teeth weren't offset nor was the blade hollow ground like the silkys. Made the work harder than it needed to be imo :)

I've used these professionally and they are easily as good as some saws that cost nearly ten times as much. The only thing that will blunt them quickly in my experience is when you start cutting things in the ground like roots, or if you hit a stone with them. Apart from that they just seem to go on and on, I will be buying at least 4 as I blunted my last ones a couple of years ago and keep missing them when they come up:rolleyes:

I did prefer the old handle design though, a lot less bulky.

I've never found a Bahco tool worth a penny yet, I avoid their stuff like the plague. My Wolf Garten is still my best hand saw, they make some of the best hand tools for gardening. Never tried any Silkys

Ray Bears uses a Bahco laplander ya know :p I've had one for 5 years nearly it needs a new blade now, but its more than given me my moneys worth. Very good saws, trust me on that. :) Bahco axes are also very good, though they do need a bit of work on the edge. Both axe and saw can be had for under £15 each. For the quality i know these (specific) tools are, then its an absolute bargain.

Bahco are swedish, swedish = good quality tools ( mora knives, gransfors bruks etc) I've only ever used the axe and saw, so cant comment on their other stuff. Is it really bad?

I've never found a Bahco tool worth a penny yet, I avoid their stuff like the plague. My Wolf Garten is still my best hand saw, they make some of the best hand tools for gardening. Never tried any Silkys

I've used their bow saw and their edge cutting shears, neither were any good IMO. Can't think of any other stuff of theirs I've tried but I know I have as I used to work with another gardener that seemed to like their stuff.

I use Swiss secateurs that are the best, not so sure about all the Swedish stuff TBH, they do make some nice air rifles though.

not so sure about all the Swedish stuff TBH, they do make some nice air rifles though.

Their cider is a bit special too, not very strong though. But with their women, why the hell do you need strong drink? ;)

I think I can see where you are coming from now Bill, these later lidl saws aren't a patch on the old ones!

Still very good for the money and I reckon will be handy for bushcraft but for my line of work, only time will tell.

I'll try to get some pics of the old and the new side by side to show you what I mean.

No worries, i wasn't aware of there being an older/different model aswell. I got mine about 2 years ago, i gave them away the same week. :)

I think I can see where you are coming from now Bill, these later lidl saws aren't a patch on the old ones!

Still very good for the money and I reckon will be handy for bushcraft but for my line of work, only time will tell.

I'll try to get some pics of the old and the new side by side to show you what I mean.

Here you go, yellow one is old, green new, although you'd have to be a bit stupid not to notice which was which anyway:rolleyes:

Attachments

• Lidl Saws 002.jpg
    Lidl Saws 002.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Lidl Saws 004.jpg
    Lidl Saws 004.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 276
The new ones aren't even the same as the ones i had. The colours are similar, but the handle on mine was more straight than curved, and didn't have the big daft hand guard or whatever the hell that thing is .:) It was nothing like the old one either. :rolleyes:

Does the new one catch in the cut? or are the teeth offset? or blade hollow ground?

I haven't used it yet so can't really comment on it's performance. The old ones had the German kite mark on the blade, these new ones don't. Neither seem to have offset teeth but that never caused me a problem with the old one. When pruning I always have to pay attention to the compression and tension of the branch and cut accordingly and make sure the bark doesn't tear so I very rarely get a blade caught whether it has offset teeth or not.
Got no idea of the hollow grind, how would I spot that?

Basically there should be a grind line, similar to that on a knife, though very very shallow at the back of the blade near the handle. It should go all the way to the spine. But it is reverse of a knife grind, thinner at the spine than the teeth ( spines not sharp though)
Only the best saws are made this way because it is more expensive to produce. Also blades made this way are thinner, lighter and more flexible so lend themselves well to saws that cut on the pull stroke. Silky saws are hollow ground as standard and the tree surgeons first choice. I have a silky big boy, i hate bow saws so i bought this instead. I got the extra coarse teeth version for ripping through green wood. The finish the saw leaves on the cut is so perfectly smooth you would think it had been sanded down. Bloody brilliant saws Ian. You wouldn't regret buying one. They are like the formula one of the saw world. :)

Heres my little fella with my Bahco laplander.

P1000707.jpg

I was out with it the other day. I felled a 20 cm dia Oak in seconds and sectioned it in minutes with just the silky.( I needed it as a host for growing gourmet mushrooms ;)) Hot knife through butter springs to mind.

Just a random Youtube vid showing the speed/ease/finish of the cut

Might have to take a look at one of those, I'm not really in the tree surgery business, just the occasional pruning among my many other talents:D but I do like good tools. They do look expensive though, I'll check them out now, cheers:)

Back