• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Heads up...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Not on the Cold Steel UK website yet, but could appear soon...

I rarely find use for an axe, but quite like the Cold Steel Hawk that I use. I don't know the specifications yet, but if the weight is a little more and the cutting edge longer, I could be interested....Hudson Bay Hawk.

Hudson-Bay-Hawk.png

Yes, Quite similar Willie. I've been trying to find out weight/ cutting edge length details but I'm not sure Cold Steel have released them yet, but I did see it has the obligatory California law sticker warning the steel head contains traces of Nickel, which may cause cancer... I think the Snowflake law makers of California are beyond help now.....:rofl:...:rofl:

i realize i'm a bit late to the party but ...
i've ordered a few things from an Italian place called Prandi, offer a staggering array of no nonsense, no glitz chopping tools at sensible prices.
i've got a buggered wrist so i wanted something fairly light for basic camp and carving work. i bought the 300g version of this one, cost me about £25:

prandi-calabro.png

I looked at those some time ago, Teef. I like that head shape rather than the 'Yankee' pattern head. Either that shape or preferably the 'German' style head. Let us know the verdict re quality when it arrives.. :thumbsup:

There is an East German brand called Bison that produced some very light belt hanging hatchets for the East German military. Very similar looking but without the drop out handle.

I looked at those some time ago, Teef. ... Let us know the verdict re quality when it arrives.. :thumbsup:

actually i've had it for a few months now and (after i shortened the handle and wrapped a rope grip on it) i'm perfectly satisfied with it. i was worried the steel might be a bit soft but tbh i've not had to touch the blade since i tuned it up shortly after i received it. now i'm not the heaviest axe user -- mostly carving, but a good bit of foraging for burls and fat wood as well -- but i've seen nothing to indicate that there is anything amiss. in fact i quite like my little axe and i have no hesitation taking it out on the occasions i plan on getting up to something that calls for it.

i suppose i should add that i bought an adze and a basic hatchet (from them) at the same time and have had no issues with either. again, they haven't seen heavy use but so far so good.

That's good. I was looking around for a shortish axe about the size of a GB small Forest axe. I know they are good axes but I believe the GB SFA carry a 'fashion price' to be honest. Bison, Prandi and a few others I am sure are also good buys, just not so well known. I'm not in a hurry as I've got a nice longer Hultafors for what I need at the moment.

Not on the Cold Steel UK website yet, but could appear soon...

I rarely find use for an axe, but quite like the Cold Steel Hawk that I use. I don't know the specifications yet, but if the weight is a little more and the cutting edge longer, I could be interested....Hudson Bay Hawk.

Hudson-Bay-Hawk.png
I actually have two axes both Hultifors, when I am in the woods I always have the smaller one with me find it very useful for splitting and starting whittling projects and preping friction firefighting sets, I do baton with my knife occasionally but prefer to use the axe. Personal preferences. 😎

I like the Hultaförs axes much better than Granförs Bruk and they don't cost the moon and stars but I will be sticking with my tried and trusted Ewells.

Back