• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hedgerow Medicine

Interesting discussion regarding pharmaceutical grade drugs vs hedgerow plants in terms of which is more effective. I have to say that I haven't taken antibiotics for over ten years. I have a penicillin allergy and a general tendency to have a mild skin reaction or an upset stomach reaction to many medicines. For this reason I avoid taking prescriptions unless absolutely necessary. I take Echinacea drops at the first sign of anything like a bad chest or throat and so far so good I haven't had to go to the doctor for any antibiotics for all those years. If the drops didn't work anytime I would however go and get some antibiotics and I would like to think that because I haven't taken them in so long they would be more effective as I had not built up an immunity. If there is a hedgerow or herbal remedy, I'm inclined to try them first and then visit the doctor if the symptoms don't go.

Important side note though, you still have allergic reactions to natural remedies or hedgerow medicines, so you need to be careful and try just a little first.

Sweet cicely smells strongly of aniseed, it is an altogether finer and prettier plant than hogweed which is bigger, tougher, coarser, thicker stems and doesn't smell of aniseed.

All colours, it's something to do with dust off their coat. It makes life doubly difficult because we do livery.:crying::confused::eek::rolleyes:

Yarrow is the other main plant I think worth study and knowing how to ID it - again its fairly ubiquitous which is a bloody ( pun ) good thing.

https://whisperingearth.co.uk/2011/09/28/the-multiple-benefits-and-uses-of-yarrow/

Another native plant with a long medicinal history and with some very good uses. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say worthy of 'study' because just like pharmacy medicines, there are side effects and counter interactions that people should learn about with all natural remedies. Something that is beneficial on it's own may not be if taken with another herb. Some combinations are going to work against each other. For example "Yarrow might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking yarrow along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness." (https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supp...eIngredientId=151&activeIngredientName=YARROW)

Another native plant with a long medicinal history and with some very good uses. I think you hit the nail on the head when you say worthy of 'study' because just like pharmacy medicines, there are side effects and counter interactions that people should learn about with all natural remedies. Something that is beneficial on it's own may not be if taken with another herb. Some combinations are going to work against each other. For example "Yarrow might cause sleepiness and drowsiness. Medications that cause sleepiness are called sedatives. Taking yarrow along with sedative medications might cause too much sleepiness." (https://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supp...eIngredientId=151&activeIngredientName=YARROW)

Ok , I see what you are saying but I'll just say that whenever I'm talking about herbal medicine myself I'm tending to be talking about post fall event X usage. So drowsiness wouldn't be a concern for me.

But I anticipate you are a daily user and explorer of Herbal medicines (?) in which case I can completely see the angle your exploring and why you are issuing the caveat.

I was more referring to Yarrow as a expedient field dressing addition.

Ok , I see what you are saying but I'll just say that whenever I'm talking about herbal medicine myself I'm tending to be talking about post fall event X usage. So drowsiness wouldn't be a concern for me.

But I anticipate you are a daily user and explorer of Herbal medicines (?) in which case I can completely see the angle your exploring and why you are issuing the caveat.

I was more referring to Yarrow as a expedient field dressing addition.
I don't know be alert and productive is pretty important post SHTF.

@Prime I'm talking generally and post X usage. It is easy to think that just because something grows on or under a hedge it is completely safe for all circumstances and all people. If you think about it however, a great deal of the prescription drugs you get from the doctor originate in plant form (plants are real medicine). Take a look at the listand it's not all of them. There are many, many plants that shouldn't be used, eaten, rubbed on or even just inhaled if you are pregnant for example. Others that should be avoided if you have high blood pressure or a heart condition. According to the link I gave for Yarrow and asprin may cause bruising and increased bleeding because they both act to prevent clotting. Yarrow can however stop bleeding too, it's all about the quantity taken. You may be thinking that asprin is an over the counter medicine and so not part of the event X usage discussion, but as we discussed earlier, pussy willow contains an asprin like substance and so both hedgerow items taken together may not be a good idea. I was agreeing with your use of the word 'study' because after the SHTF and the medical kit runs low having a really good understanding of medicinal plants could save lives. I'm no expert at all, but it's on my list of things to know more about as part of my prepping activities.

@Prime I'm talking generally and post X usage. It is easy to think that just because something grows on or under a hedge it is completely safe for all circumstances and all people. If you think about it however, a great deal of the prescription drugs you get from the doctor originate in plant form (plants are real medicine). Take a look at the listand it's not all of them. There are many, many plants that shouldn't be used, eaten, rubbed on or even just inhaled if you are pregnant for example. Others that should be avoided if you have high blood pressure or a heart condition. According to the link I gave for Yarrow and asprin may cause bruising and increased bleeding because they both act to prevent clotting. Yarrow can however stop bleeding too, it's all about the quantity taken. You may be thinking that asprin is an over the counter medicine and so not part of the event X usage discussion, but as we discussed earlier, pussy willow contains an asprin like substance and so both hedgerow items taken together may not be a good idea. I was agreeing with your use of the word 'study' because after the SHTF and the medical kit runs low having a really good understanding of medicinal plants could save lives. I'm no expert at all, but it's on my list of things to know more about as part of my prepping activities.

Yes I'm aware alot of drugs and medications are DERIVED from plant components. But meds tend to be lab improved for efficiency of said positive compounds.

I trying to understand the point your making? Yes Plants are worthy of study as my previous statement as is current medications and first aid skills to a point where you get a positive retention of knowledge vs time spent studying.

I think overall you're agreeing with me but I maybe wrong?

@Prime The point I was trying to make, maybe not very well is that alongside knowing the benefits of individual plants, it's a good idea to know how different plants interact with each other either positively or negatively. I'm not suggesting excessive research but maybe a general understanding of the plants people think they may use in a SHTF situation. Personally, I'm thinking of learning to ID and list plants that grow locally and making a list of what they do, how to use them and any potential side effects or combinations that may counteract each other. Partly why I started the discussion. Definitely agreeing with you and was just trying to discuss wider aspects of hedgerow medication because I generally think it's really interesting :)

@Prime The point I was trying to make, maybe not very well is that alongside knowing the benefits of individual plants, it's a good idea to know how different plants interact with each other either positively or negatively. I'm not suggesting excessive research but maybe a general understanding of the plants people think they may use in a SHTF situation. Personally, I'm thinking of learning to ID and list plants that grow locally and making a list of what they do, how to use them and any potential side effects or combinations that may counteract each other. Partly why I started the discussion. Definitely agreeing with you and was just trying to discuss wider aspects of hedgerow medication because I generally think it's really interesting :)

Ok , got you now!! ;)

I agree ID the local plants is a very good idea , even putting a small stake in beside of them so you can learn to ID through their entire life cycle and growth.

Back