• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hello all.

nolightweight

Slightly Talkative
Neil, 50, from Nottingham.

New to this forum but been on others for a while. Been into 'bushcraft' since about 2008 ish but consider myself a woodland camper. Like all things nature but brought up as a townie. Done various things in life but currently in retail part time and a carer the rest. Been through various set ups kit wise, tried many things and occasionally gone round in circles but generally happy with what I have now. Always a ground dweller though.
Looking forward to seeing some fresh ideas and will pitch in when I can based on my experience so far.
Anyway. Here's me. Have a good one.

Cheers

Neil, 50, from Nottingham.

New to this forum but been on others for a while. Been into 'bushcraft' since about 2008 ish but consider myself a woodland camper. Like all things nature but brought up as a townie. Done various things in life but currently in retail part time and a carer the rest. Been through various set ups kit wise, tried many things and occasionally gone round in circles but generally happy with what I have now. Always a ground dweller though.
Looking forward to seeing some fresh ideas and will pitch in when I can based on my experience so far.
Anyway. Here's me. Have a good one.

Cheers
Welcome to our family mate, hope you like us and decide to stay. Doesn't matter how experienced you are because there's enough experience on here to polish off any rough edges
Joe

What is your go to ground dwelling shelter Neil?
Good question. If I was packing for tonight it would be a Snugpak Softie Elite 1 or US poncho liner. MOD Bivi, either a Multimat Trekker 25S or Thermarest Ridgerest Classic. Shelter either a basha or Dutch poncho. Depends if rain was expected. Do tend to use a groundsheet, an old MPI space blanket. Keeps crap off my kit and living space and stops me dragging half the woodland floor into my bag at night.

Have had the full US modular sleep system and used most of that for years, had DD tarps and their super light one, a Nanok Endurance 0 sleeping bag etc. Aware of lighter Bivi options but not persuaded enough to buy. Big lad you see and not convinced enough. Makes some choices not so easy.

Hope that helps.

I too had the US modular system , great kit but way too bulky and heavy , moved mine on , really liked the outer Gore-Tex bag :thumbsup:
I'm leaning more towards lightweight backpacking these days but do still enjoy a night in the woods ......

The black inner sleeping bag I found on the short side so didn't use that once I'd found that out. Patrol (green) bag was ok. The full hood/face covering part always got in the way but carried on with it. Very solid kit, well made etc but don't miss putting a bare knee onto an open press stud at dark o clock, getting back in after watering the foliage...

Back