• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hello

familyof5prep

Slightly Talkative
hey all! im new here we are a family looking to go off grid in the coming months and start living a self sustaining lifestyle if possible we are currently trying to find some land to rent or in exchange for produce etc ideally we would love to start a small community of like minded people (all living on their own area of a plot of land for privacy and meeting daily for farming gardening, building etc) is there any other families/couples that have considered the future? this has always been our passion and i regret that we didnt act sooner if theres anyone out there with any advise/thoughts/interest on this that would be very much appreciated :) sadly i believe this virus is only a small part of the bigger picture and i would really like to get away from the busy town i live in, Thanks for reading and stay safe!

So my bad I hadn't seen that this thread was made for me, thank you! Just a bit more to add,

We are a young family from the southeast we are open minded and hard working although we are not professional farmers gardeners or growers we have always been infatuated by the lifestyle and it has always appealed to us greatly to live off grid, or atleast in a much more self sustaining situation in a more rural location, because of the recent situation we are looking for like minded people with knowledge patience and work ethic and use of land to use for caravans/tiny homes and gradually build a small community growing food and using alternative energy building and become as self sufficient as much as possible,
If there are any farmers using this site or anyone knows any that need help we have also been applying for work on farms to pick fruit if living on the land is possible,
We've studied many aspects of living self sufficiently and even about foods that are readily available growing all around us, we are going through a tidal wave of hurdles at the moment and I do not want to be here when shtf 😐

If anyone has a bunker with space for a family also that'd be a plus 😂😂

Hi Fam.

Welcome!!

These little books may contain some helpful tips on subjects relating too living off grid.
Not sure how much you know about foraging wild foods....."Food For Free" By Richard Maybe would be an excellent addition to have in your pocket for reference.....and to help I.D. plants and keep you safe.......fun to use with the children too.....get them involved.

Last edited:
There is a little known area of planning law in England and Wales which allows a person or family permission to build a temporary home on land that they earn a living from for the duration. There is now no need to apply for permission to build an underground bunker however the maximum depth must not exceed the distance to the nearest building so as not to undermine it and it must not be used as a part of your dwelling under normal circumstances (building regs still apply)
As for gaining experience there is a program called Willing Workers On Organic Farms. Wwoofing is a common way to gain experience and see if the lifestyle suits you without incurring the costs of buying land. The idea is that around 10 hrs work per person earns them bed and board.
Edit; my bad.....World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms

Last edited:
If you are prepared to move from the South East, you may widen your chances of employment on the land by moving to an area that traditionally relies on a transitory work force. My Sister lives in Lincolnshire and I know that large numbers of workers are employed on some of the farm there.

Under the present circumstances of little or no International travel, plus our escape from the EU, the area farmers are squeaking about not finding the labour force they usually use.
Take advantage of the situation, make enquires about an exchange of accommodation for labour perhaps? It might be that someone would welcome a permanent resident worker and it would give you are chance to exploit any Small
Holding or land opportunities in the area.

I know casual workers are employed in the South, but where my Sister lives in the Spalding area, the local second language is Lithuanian in the Summer, but I doubt it will be this year, and the farms still need the workers..

Hi Fam.

Welcome!!

These little books may contain some helpful tips on subjects relating too living off grid.
Not sure how much you know about foraging wild foods....."Food For Free" By Richard Maybe would be an excellent addition to have in your pocket for reference.....and to help I.D. plants and keep you safe.......fun to use with the children too.....get them involved.

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I have the food for free book and it is amazing! So informative and lovely illustrations, I will definatelt look into your other recommendations as they look informative too :)

There is a little known area of planning law in England and Wales which allows a person or family permission to build a temporary home on land that they earn a living from for the duration. There is now no need to apply for permission to build an underground bunker however the maximum depth must not exceed the distance to the nearest building so as not to undermine it and it must not be used as a part of your dwelling under normal circumstances (building regs still apply)
As for gaining experience there is a program called Willing Workers On Organic Farms. Wwoofing is a common way to gain experience and see if the lifestyle suits you without incurring the costs of buying land. The idea is that around 10 hrs work per person earns them bed and board.
Edit; my bad.....World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms

Wow thanks I had no idea about those laws definately something I will be keeping in mind for the near future! You have got me thinking about taking a shovel to a feild now to get ourselves a bunker haha, has anyone actually seen the type of bunkers you can buy now it's actually insane! I was also watching a video this morning about a family that have been living in a forest house tent (wooden frame with plastic wave panels then covered with a water proof canvas tent) with a bonfire out the front and mini garden It looked stunning and I'm so jel that I'm not already living that life 😂
I will take a look at the farming opportunities I have been doing some scouting for places but haven't had any luck so far thanks for the link I will give it a good look :)

If you are prepared to move from the South East, you may widen your chances of employment on the land by moving to an area that traditionally relies on a transitory work force. My Sister lives in Lincolnshire and I know that large numbers of workers are employed on some of the farm there.

Under the present circumstances of little or no International travel, plus our escape from the EU, the area farmers are squeaking about not finding the labour force they usually use.
Take advantage of the situation, make enquires about an exchange of accommodation for labour perhaps? It might be that someone would welcome a permanent resident worker and it would give you are chance to exploit any Small
Holding or land opportunities in the area.

I know casual workers are employed in the South, but where my Sister lives in the Spalding area, the local second language is Lithuanian in the Summer, but I doubt it will be this year, and the farms still need the workers..

I totally agree, we have spoken about travelling from here and we are 1000% open to it as it would obviously open up alot more opportunities for work and land, I'm not fussed where we go as long as we can make it a home and survive!

I would also look into opportunities around the county of Norfolk.
You're lucky that your family is all on board with this. Living under canvas is great fun if you've got good quality kit but even then it can be a relief to get home to a hot bath, a real toilet and a warm, soft bed. It takes a special kind of person to completely give up the western way of life and seek a much simpler existence.
I will watch your posts with a great deal of interest.

Back