• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Heloo

Hughie

Quite Talkative
Short, (hopefully), intro from me as a new member here. Live totally off grid, (perfectly legally) in the West Devon wilds on seven acres. Interested in wild camping, boat building, general outdoor stuff, off grid living etc etc
I see there's some shooters on here, done a lot of rifle, handguns, hand loading, before Dunblane, but after having to surrender my weapons and the handgun ban have just stuck with air rifle, Weirhauch for squirrels, can't be doing with the administrative faff of anything more.
Hopefully I will be able to be a useful contributor, thanks for having me!

Short, (hopefully), intro from me as a new member here. Live totally off grid, (perfectly legally) in the West Devon wilds on seven acres. Interested in wild camping, boat building, general outdoor stuff, off grid living etc etc
I see there's some shooters on here, done a lot of rifle, handguns, hand loading, before Dunblane, but after having to surrender my weapons and the handgun ban have just stuck with air rifle, Weirhauch for squirrels, can't be doing with the administrative faff of anything more.
Hopefully I will be able to be a useful contributor, thanks for having me!
Welcome, thanks for posting.👍

Thanks for the welcome folks, and briefly for Gulfalan67, we have no grid connection, we have solar panels, charger/inverter, battery bank and back up genny, wood burning Rayburn, borehole water and septic tank/soakaway drainage. A variety of timber sources on site, I've been bringing some hazel coppicing back to life, and all the native hardwoods although ash is taking a hammering from die back. I can only take credit for the Rayburn as the rest was in place when we took the place on a few years ago but I've slowly got my head around how it all fits together and obviously we have had breakdowns/disasters which have necessitated a rapid learning curve at times!
Ps forgot to mention also do a bit of archery and fishing, canoeing, pottery, was a commercial fisherman for many years (but that doesn't mean I'm guaranteed to catch anymore than anyone else is!) Cheers for now.

Sounds like you have it cracked Hughie.....how long have you been living off grid?

We as a family used to shoot for Exmouth Archers years ago.....fond memories.
Are you a Sea Angler or do you enjoy freshwater too.
Hear what you are saying re the FAC faff.......wont be renewing mine when the time comes.

Sounds like you have it cracked Hughie.....how long have you been living off grid?

We as a family used to shoot for Exmouth Archers years ago.....fond memories.
Are you a Sea Angler or do you enjoy freshwater too.
Hear what you are saying re the FAC faff.......wont be renewing mine when the time comes.
This is our fourth year here, before that we were in Cornwall but not off grid just in the sticks, and before that Scillies, which although has mains electric now, ticks the other off grid boxes, and was just a pretty out there, independent kind of lifestyle. (PS grew up in 1970's sarf London so you can understand why I got as far west as I could!)
I've not done any fresh water angling, In Cornwall I was commercial handlining mackerel, pollock and bass, but using rod and line as well so some crossover I guess, I did get excited canoeing the Tamar at the number of big sea trout jumping and got myself a sea trout and salmon licence but not had a go for them yet, may or may not get round to it.
Yep FAC wise, I've thought about going back to it a few times over the years but as soon as I start looking at the whole rigmarole of it just can't face it!

Hi and welcome @Hughie .
We are almost off grid, just the mains electricary lol.
Ref the shooting you could always get your sgc and dust a few clays, could also come in handy fir protection of chucks n ducks if you have any.
Ducks are funny and good slug controllers, eggs is great as well.

Back