• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Help Me Choose an Enzo Knife :)

TWBryan

Very Talkative
Thinking seriously on getting an enzo scandi knife. Well,actually going to just buy a blade blank and stick a handle on it. I first thought I'd get a camper with a 5" blade,but have thought it over and would like something compact with good handling qualities. Thinking of getting an O1 steel for durability and ease of sharpening. Not sure I want to use D2,it's a great steel when the heat treat is right,but brittle if it isn't.

Appreciate any input.

Thanks For Looking :)

Nice scandi knife is the Mora 711 carbon bushcraft knife was thinking may save you some money in the long run

Thanks Ned,but was looking for a full tang knife.Got a couple 740's and a robust in my collection. Nothing wrong with a mora,but I was wanting to try something a little different. :)

Found a good deal on a trapper blank in O1 and ordered it.Ran me roughly $46 w/ shipping. I can buy a set of scales & bolts from another vendor,I'm leaning towards orange micarta. I've got liner material so I can give it black liners for contrast. Of course I could go with black handles and red or yellow liners..

It's hard to beat natural materials for a pretty handle,but I'm too much a knuckle-dragger to keep a stag handle intact. So I'm inclined towards micarta as a more durable handle. Considering now a black handle with a yellow and black liner.

Ended up having to get an orange handle (looks like dull burnt orange) as the shop was out of the black handles. Have since received all the parts and spent time sanding the canvas micarta down. I must say I probably won't choose canvas micarta again. I got a good price on it,and it was pre-shaped and pre-drilled,but what a bugger to get to a smooth finish.

I've only used the blade briefly to cut a couple things,but the O1 steel seems to be good stuff.

Have went through days of trying to sand down the handle. Finally got disgusted yesterday and just applied a coat of poly to the handle.Sadly the areas that weren't smooth show up as gray dirty looking areas. I'm considering sanding it down more to eliminate those areas. Today I got out some kydex and made a vertical sheath for it.It's a bit big for that and I might turn it into a dangler,or vertical.

Post up some pics mate it will help with some ideas

Lee,I'll get on that I just need to shovel off a bench top a bit... ;)

Ok I took a few fast pics,I stress that I'm not finished working on the (expletive deleted) thing.

Enzo%20001.jpg

Enzo%20002.jpg

Enzo%20003.jpg

Just stick with it mate it don't always go to plan that's part of the enjoyment and learning lol you will get there in the end

Feels more like grueling torture most of the time. Thinking of using linspeed oil on the handle instead of the poly stuff.

Feels more like grueling torture most of the time. Thinking of using linspeed oil on the handle instead of the poly stuff.

I know the feeling lol. I made some scales from epoxy with glow in the dark powder mixed in, getting the right contours were a nightmare and in the end one scale cracked lol.

Already decided I'll never work on canvas micarta again. If I get another enzo blade I'll find some wood to stick on it.;)

Here's a sheath mod I done when I was playing about with modding knives and sheaths, its an old poor quality video but might give you some ideas....

Lee,that for the most informative video. To be honest I've only thought of haveing a couple items attached to the knife sheath: a sharpening stone,and a ferro rod. Maybe some cordage,I just don't want anything too bulky hanging off my side.

Took sandpaper and scrubbed off the poly finish,and tried again to reduce the areas that showed up dark. When I was pretty disgusted I quit sanding and carefully applied Linspeed oil to the handle with my fingertip. I left it to dry ,and it's probably ready to handle by now. If it was wood I would put a second coat on. I think I will look it over before deciding on that. Pretty tired,if I get a second wind I'll see if I can make a dangler attachment for the sheath.

Max perdition do various pouches that can be attached to kydex or even leather sheaths, I still have that knife somewhere I must dig it out it was the first real survival knive I brought.

I do like the Becker line,I've got BK14,BK24,and a BK15. I really like the handle on the BK15 very ergonomic from my point of view. My current favorite knife though is the TOPS B.O.B knife.

I have a couple maxped pocket organizers,one is too big,one is too small. Then again have tendency to want to carry too much.

Checked the handle,still wet,hopefully one coat should do it.

Back