• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Here you are...adios.

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
When I moved from Sussex to Wales in July, my old team mates gave me a 'going away' present. Many on the forum are familiar with this monster I'm sure, I've used but never owned one, so it was a nice present.

Just started sanding the over size, sharp edged wooden scales and attacking it with an oil stone.
P1050492.jpg

Grip sanded and oiled with Teak Oil. 'Custom' comfortable now..:D and compared to the original, not a bad edge at all.

P1050494.jpg

Really happy with my present...:thumbsup:

Attachments

• P1050492.jpg
    P1050492.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 18
  • P1050494.jpg
    P1050494.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 21
Hi Sax :xmas-smilie:

What a cracking gift that is mate......nice thoughtful friends you have :)

Got to say that looks very loved......... and the oiled wood is lovely.
Having rubbed the edges and sharpened it....its good to go :thumbsup:

Spot on glad you are happy.

" and the oiled wood is lovely. ".... :thumbsup:

The wooden scales are probably 2mm proud of the tang edges when the knife is new, so prolonged use chopping etc: would be uncomfortable. But a simple sand paper job and it's possible to custom shape them to taste, which I find has made it really nice to hold.
Not sure what the wood is, but the Teak Oil brings out the red colour nicely.

Going by the shape Saxon I would say it looks very similar to a Puma knife

I know what you mean Joe, that rounded look towards the blade tip and the 'Hook' style of the handle. It could be happily classed as "Industrial" it's that tough. No good for carving spoons but years ago I saw someone using an issue knife to lever a big heavy rusty staple that had a chain through it, out of a 6x6 gatepost ...We needed to get some kit through and the gate was chained closed...:D

Yes, 38 it is. Also used to come with black plasticky type handle scales with steel rivets fixing them to the tang.

Back