• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Here's a thing...

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Question to the forum...

Would you travel 300 miles to a car dealer that you know and trust ( previous dealings show the word trust justified) to buy a secondhand vehicle....or.....buy a similar vehicle at the same price locally from an unknown dealer?

£50+ fuel costs and 12 hours on the road to consider, and is that worth the bother?

The equation is...300 miles+time+ expense = straight deal
or
No travel / expense = possible hassles later and threats to insert duff vehicle into dodgy dealer's body orifice.....:lol:

All depends if the 300 miles travel and time +costs are worth your peace of mind Sax.
You could always let the train take the strain and treat it as a break away?

A pre deal test by AA etc: might be worth a go. A train ride from where I live would require a mortgage arrangement I'm afraid, silly money, I've considered it in the past...ended up using National Express coach £35 and 13 hours to Brighton via Victoria...torture. :(

I think I might visit the local Dealer and gaze into the whites of his eyes and see if I detect crookery when I suggest a pre sale inspection...:lol:

A pre deal test by AA etc: might be worth a go. A train ride from where I live would require a mortgage arrangement I'm afraid, silly money, I've considered it in the past...ended up using National Express coach £35 and 13 hours to Brighton via Victoria...torture. :(

I think I might visit the local Dealer and gaze into the whites of his eyes and see if I detect crookery when I suggest a pre sale inspection...:lol:

Thanks to the internet, I'm led to believe that there is no real room for 'wriggle' on the price of cars, everyone can go online and see what they're worth. If you're getting from a decent dealer with a number of branches they don't like the bad press of unhappy customers, especially online so all in all its not the leap of faith it used to be. Having said that, I don't drive but I do do most the talking when we get the missus's car so I'm not an expert. I'd try local first, save the hassle but if your spider senses are tingling then try a few more, good luck.

Cheers Bam, the Internet effect makes sense explained that way. After I had posted I rang the Sussex dealer about the motor I saw on his forecourt when I was in Sussex on Friday. Ha! fate has stepped in anyway, the car has gone, sold Saturday morning..So local dealer it will be..:thumbsup:

Reactions: Bam
For me it depends, If I like someone I'd prefer to deal with them. I do prefer to buy privately though.

Back