• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hi all

Hi Tom :)

Welcome to the forum......look forward to hearing how your first wild camp goes...... A few pictures would be good too....... Enjoy..

Don't worry, its difficult to pitch the tone of an introduction just right. It didn't sound much like a dating profile to me though.
Welcome to the forum. It's a great place to learn, I hope you have a good time with your wild camping.

I just started to write the clothing list for you, what will take a couple of days I guess, because unfortunately it isn't my main job to write here, and I'm not old enough to retire from work.

I will write this new thread for everybody but keeping in the eyes the typical beginner between 15 and 25 years old.

To be as much as possible helpful to you, I need some detailed informations abot you.

How old are you, and how tall are you (cm!!!)and what's your body weight?
What's your profession?

I recommend a 60 years old 165 cm little lady who works as a secretary different equipment as to a 20 years old student or a 30 years old gardener or carpenter who is 190 cm tall.

;0)

Do you live in an area where is a lot of forest, or do you have there mainly open grass land without any forest, just a few bushes and some walls and cattle on it?

I don't really know Britain and how it looks where.

Thanks very much i really appreciate it and iam sure it will help lots of others too

On with the details

Iam 40 ish
175cm tall
13 stone /182 lbs
Iam a carpenter

I live in a area with lots of forest areas oak ash beech trees and i also intend on doing a few coastal camps.

Thanks again erbswurst :)

A carpenter, and still surrounded by forests???

Aahaa!
So you seem to be a lazy and in cause of this very weak one, I guess?

;0)

I still wrote about shoes and socks.

If you do not plan to walk to many kilometres you could use your working boots for the beginning.
And work wear as well!

It is worth the money to buy later really good boots.

For example this Austrian Army heavy mountain boots here, which are a really cheap offer for this quality!

By the way: This shops sells a lot of other very good, cheap and relatively civil looking clothing!

May be I'll write about Austrian army stuff later in a different thread.

It would be an option perhaps to buy that stuff before a forum meeting, that everybody could get an impression about the right sizing and what doesn't fit to one would fit to the other perhaps.

The prices are outstanding low!

The sizing of hiking boots should be more or less like your working boots by the way. But Decathlon boots usually are one size smaller than declared.

If you usually want to hike and camp in a not so windy area in my opinion a Tarp is the best option or a light bivvy bag with light military poncho. I prefere that in the forest.
I want to be in the forest, not in a tent!

The relatively heavy but long lasting polish army tent is a cheap and lovely option in most conditions.
5 times heavier than a cheap 650g tarp.The polish army tent is better for camping than hiking.

But if you usually would use Tarp or Ponchotarp in the wind protected forest this very cheap tent here would probably be a good idea.

It is recommended only till 40km/h wind speed, so nothing for the mountains. But if your life doesn't depend on it and you just want to go a couple of times to the coast line, and remember to hide it a bit behind a rock, a wall or a bush, that would be a good option to save here money to spend it somewhere else in more important stuff.

It will rain directly on the ground floor, if you dont close it. But its relatively light with only 2Kg (Without pegs) , really water proof if closed and will survive round about 200 nights of use, if not more!

I use it a lot. It's one of the cheapest tents on the market, and works very well.
Every French student has one, really!
Off course! It is a well working tent that costs only 20,-€ !!!!

I am 185 cm tall and put my sleeping mat diagonal in there. For you it would be large enough in all conditions.

Thanks i have seen your post, and got the socks on my list already đź‘Ť
I think for me a tarp and bivvy is the way to go, i dont like the idea of not being able to see into my surroundings when in a tent. I strangely think i will feel safer under a tarp.

Back