• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

High leg boots / Gaiters

Oh there’s always hope:rofl:

Back to the high boots (for outdoor wear lol) with all this hot weather adders and all sorts of nasty little burgers will be heavily active. Prevention is key :D

I remember having a mad fling at University with some Posh totty, in the midst of our passion she'd cry "One's arriving, one's arriving", strange lot.
PMSL, I think I married her sister

Back to the thread, my wellies are Dunlop Purofort....they may be green but they're certainly not posh....possibly land mine proof but not posh.

When I was stalking or grouse beating on the heather clad Angus glens I never ever once saw an Adder - despite the warning signs. Or even anywhere other estate I was working on - including Perthshire.

The worst place I've ever seen for Adders was a marshy area near Stirling known for seagull breeding, full of Adders it was but, as far as I know, no one was ever bitten. Quite elusive creatures I reckon.

As for ticks and high boots/gaiters, that's a different story. I always wore the high green wellies with the strap and buckle (and still do) cos gaiters weren't really any good at keeping out the tiny wee beasties from latching on to my legs. I've never had ticks when wearing my wellies.

A wee song about wellies springs to mind from Billy Connolly. :D

If it wisnae fur ma wellies where would ah be
ah'd be in the hospital or in the infirmary
cos ah wid hiv a dose o'the flu or even pleurisy
If ah didnae hiv ma feet in ma wellies.

That's where boots and gaiters let you down I guess. Soggy feet, socks, boots, gaiters, wrinkled toes, ticks, ad nauseam - great for rocky ground though, wellies are rubbish for that terrain. :D

Doubt it Ark, t'was Meikleour Estate and Dupplin Estate in the early to mid 80's. :D

Gardener/caretaker at Meiklour and Forestry/woodcutter at Dupplin.

I left Meikleour because the auld fart head gardener and his missus was giving us grief and my wife was getting tired of the backstabbing abuse we received, primarily, cos we came from Glasgow. :mad:

Old Lord Lansdowne was a really nice bloke and after we left, he sent us a letter (after sacking the former head gardener) inviting us back again. Sadly, we'd already moved to Dupplin Estate where things got worse for us...bad move really. :(

Then we moved again, to Angus, and we've been here (almost) ever since. :cool:

Early to mid 80s :eek: a was just a wee lady barley oot the nappy’s :rofl:

From Glasgow myself mate. Moved to Glasgow from Linlithgow when I was 5. Then a little time in Manchester and back to Glasgow... moved to Crieff about 11or so years ago (best move I made :D)these parts can be a little cliquey mate :thumbsup: and i have experienced the Glasgow negativity lol so know where your coming from there. But gladly all sorted and it was only one culprit :rolleyes:. Keep myself to myself so don’t really get any animosity. Anyway the beautiful surroundings make up for the tits :rofl::rofl:

Aye, yer bang on there Jimmy! :D

Linlithgow, good grief...I used to do a bit of terrier work there for foxes in the late 60's - I'm getting so old! :(

Life is what you make it I reckon. If there's lots of tits then you just switch on the off button. :cool:

Showing yir age a bit there Spock :D age comes to us all matey......just wish it came on it’s own :rofl:

Lithgy bridge. Lovely place.....well Maby no now...don’t know if you have been there but it’s went from little hoos on the prerry to a crammed version of Glasgow :thumbsdown: Remember fishing in the burn for trout late 80s lol...some size of trout in such a small burn. Nothing but open fields and woodland

Of button is on permanently buddy for them said folk :D

Quote Spock:

"The worst place I've ever seen for Adders was a marshy area near Stirling known for seagull breeding, full of Adders it was but, as far as I know, no one was ever bitten. Quite elusive creatures I reckon."

-they are, and just fabulous :thumbsup:

Back