• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

High mount damage

Medwayman

Quite Addicted
As far as i know I put them on the rifle OK (might be wrong) but after trying the new pellets that i got they were going all over the place!!, decided to give the rifle a bit of a clean up and took the scope off and found this, it was pushing the back end up slightly so I assume accuracy would have been affected, what would the cause be?? it is a Stoeger mount and after reading a few reviews on other sites the Stoeger name does not have many fans. poor quality metal, poor machine work?? or like i say me being a doofus and doing something wrong.

Have now put my normal low mounts on that came with the rifle.

P1370075.JPG
P1370076.JPG

i see the mount had an arrestor stud as well, does the rifle have the corresponding holes on the rifle? usually they help to stop the mount creeping back. i had a similar problem where the mount didn't move but the scope moved backwards in the mount, this caused zero shift. in the i invested in some sports match mounts which solved the problem. i would certainly recommend them especially when using a spring gun.

There not the best air rifle on the market but mine was accurate enough to be affective. A would scrap it an buy a new rail mate. Possibly a new scope as it may have taken a knock. Try H&n barracuda. They worked a treat when I had my stoeger. A little expensive but worth the test.

I've never seen damage like that on a mount. It's hard to say what could have caused it without being there when it was stripped down.

My personal opinion is that a lot (but possibly not all) of the criticism of some of the cheaper makes is people justifying to future buyers (and possibly themselves) that the extra cost of buying a more expensive traditional make is justified. My local gun shop sells a full range of air rifles from some of the more budget options through to the most expensive and said they wouldn’t stock the budget makes if they were dross. They also said they get just as many faults at the top end of the market as the bottom!

I've never seen damage like that on a mount. It's hard to say what could have caused it without being there when it was stripped down.

Do you thing the scope could have been put on from that end? Maybe the tolerances are slightly different from the front section.

It would be interesting to see the rails on the rifle itself. Im guessing they only come back so far, in that case if the mounts were fitted too far back in order to obtain a closer eye relief then they could have overlapped past the grooves and then deformed as they were tightened down. A lot of mounts are only ali and it doesn't take a lot to cause damage :)

It would be interesting to see the rails on the rifle itself. Im guessing they only come back so far, in that case if the mounts were fitted too far back in order to obtain a closer eye relief then they could have overlapped past the grooves and then deformed as they were tightened down. A lot of mounts are only ali and it doesn't take a lot to cause damage :)

I believe that’s deliberate; better/cheaper to damage the mounts than the rails....

A few years ago I changed all my mounts to BKL. They are more expensive than the common varieties but their design makes them more reliable.
The lower part that fits to the rail is machined in one piece to take away the tilt that sometimes occurs with the split/screwed mounts.

I either use Sports Match or Hawks mounts. They're pretty much middle of the range for price but do the job. There are usually problems with cheaper mounts be it design, materials or machining.

Back