• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hiking kit for scotland

Terryh

Slightly Talkative
Any other folks here keen hikers?
We're planning 7 days hiking and wild camping in Scotland next month

Will 2 season sleeping bags used with a quality tent be ok as space for 3 season sleeping bags is an issue

Depends, Scotland's weather is so changeable, where are you planning on going ? What are you sleeping on mat wise, thermals will give a big boost to warmth if needed for little space and weight, a bit more info may help.

We're going to the Glencoe region it's our first time to Scotland were hiking with another couple so the guys can take the heaviest rucksacks were using roll mats and also have the orange survival bags to cover the sleeping bags we hope that will keep heat in if the weather is cold we will only be 5 or so km from our cars

The orange survival bags are really just oversized orange bin liners and you'll sweat more than a weight watcher in a cake shop waking up damp...better off with an army Goretex bivi bag which don't cost the earth off ebay. That said a fleece jacket and loose fitting socks will keep you toasty in your sleeping bag.

A quality set of Marino wool Base layers would be worth a shout.......they weigh nothing and take up little space.

Are you both experienced hikers?

As @Harry Palmer says, your better off without those orange survival bags and go with something that's breathable, of the temps dip you'll wake up child and damp, I don't think the roll mats alone are enough, some sort of inflatable mat on top of it, preferably insulated but it's down to cost, what sleeping bags are you using.

The orange survival bags are really just oversized orange bin liners and you'll sweat more than a weight watcher in a cake shop waking up damp.

Reminds me of an incident many years ago. We were down the new forest area and the weather ally pleasant . So much so that we decided to sleep out in the open. Sod's law , there was a rain shower in the night and we made a hasty retreat to the van . Next night we thought we'd try again but my one friend wrapped his sleeping bag in bin liners. We woke up next morning all fine and dandy but he woke up sopping wet. Childish but we did giggle.
Talking of hiking in scotland it's a grannies and eggs thing but I'd not go without waterproofs and even if rain isn't on the cards I'd still want my gaiters if I'm likely to be walking through long grass early on in the day.

Last edited:
As @Harry Palmer says, your better off without those orange survival bags and go with something that's breathable, if the temps dip you'll wake up cold and damp, I don't think the roll mats alone are enough, some sort of inflatable mat on top of it, preferably insulated but it's down to cost, what sleeping bags are you using.

Fixed that,bloody auto correct on the phone lol

Glen Coe is midge central so SMIDGE is an essential part of your kit. Cover all of your skin with clothing, including gloves and a hat with a midge net. I don't imagine you'll want to do the naturist thing up there!
And as others have said, in all likelihood you'll need waterproofs at some point.
Gaiters may also reduce the chance of ticks latching on.

Oh and a camera for the fantastic scenery :)

If you do use the orange bivvi bags be prepared to be woken up by every passer by enquiring if you're alright, some of them will have made a detour just to check up on you. Most people assume that the orange bags are emergency kit. I've only ever used them during DofE awards as a teen.

Don't worry we will not be out on the side of the mountains in the orange bags they will only be used in the tents or in an emergency thanks for all the usefull infornmotion đź‘Ť

do not sleep in your sleeping bags inside the survival bags (unless you are in a survival situation ) you will wake up with a soaking wet sleeping bag ...

you are better of getting a flease liner for your sleeping bags if you want to add a season ...you can get them from tesco,s for not much money

Back