• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hoarders

Mea culpa, not just my walking/camping stuff, I'm not likely to make the telly as a 'nutjob hoarder' but I'm a bugger for not ditching stuff with the mantra of "it'll come in handy for something....". My missus is always on at me. I've even brought home stuff that some of the lovable travelling community have abandoned when camped nearby. :lol:

Now I am definitely guilty of that. I find myself in a strange quandary, I despise fly tippers and their flagrant disregard for the environment and our countryside, but at the same time I just can't help but feel a twinge of excitement whenever I see a mound of rubbish dumped down some country lane. Gotten huge amounts of useable wood and metal, sometimes even tools over the years from fly tips.

I won't hide it, I'm a hoarder and proud of it. I don't like throwing anything away, and when I do have to I'll strip it down before hand for every nut, bolt, screw and other useful components and raw materials I can find. My family and friends think I'm completely mad (and they're probably right), but I'm the first one they turn to if something needs repairing.

Speak for yourselves, my hoard is in a constant state of change...I'm constantly selling stuff off and buying in different stuff, sometimes it just an excuse to try stuff and then I sell it on...sometimes I even show a small profit.
Firstly, I like to sell at fairs because I can usually buy there as well. Secondly, it's not my fault if you guys never see what I'm selling since the sales section isn't open to me.

Now I am definitely guilty of that. I find myself in a strange quandary, I despise fly tippers and their flagrant disregard for the environment and our countryside, but at the same time I just can't help but feel a twinge of excitement whenever I see a mound of rubbish dumped down some country lane. Gotten huge amounts of useable wood and metal, sometimes even tools over the years from fly tips.

I won't hide it, I'm a hoarder and proud of it. I don't like throwing anything away, and when I do have to I'll strip it down before hand for every nut, bolt, screw and other useful components and raw materials I can find. My family and friends think I'm completely mad (and they're probably right), but I'm the first one they turn to if something needs repairing.

I'm a bit like that, I've even found a bench vice, needed cleaned up but perfectly good. My wood stash is fairly full but I still get twitchy when I see perfectly good wood left.

I can fully equate to what Albion has said. I struggle to go past a skip and in my former job was known to have a root through before going home. Sometimes people would ask me if I wanted something before they threw it in. I probably inherited the trait frrom my father who at one point was a bin man and later afurnace controller at an incineration plant/tip and rarely came home empty handed. As a child our house was full of bikes , mowers and vacuums because people seem to throw these things away at the slightest sign of a problem. Often it would be something very simple like a fuse , loose wire , blocked tube or blunt blades. Made for a bit of extra income at least and on top of that therre was practically everything else one could imagine.

His sheds he can't fill, because he is hoarding ruins too, which are currently very cheap in eastern Germany.

Ah the vagaries of language . Not quite sure what you mean by "hoarding ruins" which are cheap in eastern Germany ?

I mean houses, which need a renovation in nearly every part, hoses without doors and with broken windows, where water is dropping through the roof, and where live spiders, bats, racoons and ghosts in.

Houses like that are cheap, because normal people don't want them.

My brother buys them, if he can afford it.
He thinks, they will last another hundred years before they break down and can be used. And probably he is right with that.

This here for example he fortunately didn't discover jet:

I mean houses, which need a renovation in nearly every part, hoses without doors and with broken windows, where water is dropping through the roof, and where live spiders, bats, racoons and ghosts in.

Houses like that are cheap, because normal people don't want them.

My brother buys them, if he can afford it.
He thinks, they will last another hundred years before they break down and can be used. And probably he is right with that.

This here for example he fortunately didn't discover jet:

Interesting, in much of Britain (England especially) a property like that would cost 10 times more and still be snapped up, renovated and sold on for a profit in a heartbeat.

Houses like this are far more expensive in western Germany.
In the east currently there aren't enough jobs. It's as good as impossible to repair and sell them. They are only interesting for those who can do everything themselves and who want to live in them or use it as a holiday house.

Interesting, in much of Britain (England especially) a property like that would cost 10 times more and still be snapped up, renovated and sold on for a profit in a heartbeat.
And have a daytime tv programme made about it too.
Thanks for the explanation Erbswurst.

Back