• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Home made cider

Nearly gone 😳😢
385939C7-3374-41DA-AEBE-28CF321A48D9.jpeg

Seriously, you don’t want to try and drink this by the pint. I’m not sure what strength it is but it makes commercial cider seem weak….
…..btw not to worry, there are another 18 demijohns
We used to do wine from basic kits and that got to around 18% and very quaffable. Many's the sunny afternoon lost with friends in the garden. Lol

@Ystranc Am giving this a go 😳 I’ll start of simple and see how far I get …for my first attempt I will use pasteurised apple juice (quality brand ) however that’s is far as I’m going on the first run . Few questions lol

What’s the best yeast ?

Would any demijohn ie the glass ones selling on the bay do? if so what’s the best way to clean it when I buy it ?

And the best bubbler ? If there’s such a thing as the best lol

And any other tips you want to throw my way would be appreciated 😁

"And any other tips you want to throw my way would be appreciated 😁"

@Ark79

Place the Demijohns in the garden at least 3 Meters from the house......and surround with filled sandbags.
Purchase some quality..... quilted..... toilet paper and store.........buy a half decent sewing kit and keep it close..... along with spare pants.🤔

Sodiummetabisulphate or campden tablets dissolved in lukewarm water to sterilise the demijohn, bung and air trap. (Later you will also need to sterilise a siphon tube and another demijohn to wrack the cider off into.
I use champagne/cider yeast that tolerates up to 18%abv.
As long as the bung fits the neck of the demijohn it doesn’t matter what size bottle you use. (Plastic doesn’t work as well but it does work)
Initially only fill the demijohn up to the shoulder of the bottle because the first stage can go a little mad. After it calms down you can top it up with boiled water and cane sugar.
Keep checking the air trap has a little sterile water but is not so full it can’t work and don’t rush things, good cider takes time.
All of this stuff can also be used for making wine if you fancy giving it a go. Anything from nettles/pea pods to black currents, really excellent wine can come from the cheapest fruit or forage.

"And any other tips you want to throw my way would be appreciated 😁"

@Ark79

Place the Demijohns in the garden at least 3 Meters from the house......and surround with filled sandbags.
Purchase some quality..... quilted..... toilet paper and store.........buy a half decent sewing kit and keep it close..... along with spare pants.🤔

Now that sounds like a list of things to do , when I’m drinking the cider 😂

Back