• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Home-made insulated footprint?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Considering making an insulated circular footprint for the winter camp. Has anyone done this and/or could advise where best to get the material? I thought I'd buy an eyelet punch so that I could pin it down too.

Any ideas gratefully received.

I ordered this off eBay ( not arrived from China yet !) , various sizes available and other sellers available ….

AAC7E4A4-F854-45CF-B469-9A680C186DCE.png

If you are using transport so that carriage isn‘t an issue, the 2ft square interlocking ‘gym floor’ mats work well.
We make sure that the ground is fairly even and also lay a heavy duty tarp over them. (That’s the double sided pvc tarp material not that pu coated plastic raffia rubbish).

On shanks’, in the Tarpee I use fern/bracken on the ground, a German surplus reinforced groundsheet over that and a modified inflatable Brit surplus insulation mat on top.

You can also buy Radiator Heat Reflective Insulating Foil from DIY stores such as screwfix , I know some people use this but i guess it would depend on the size of the footprint you require ........

I have the interlocking Gym mats under my hot tub , they do work well .

You can also buy Radiator Heat Reflective Insulating Foil from DIY stores such as screwfix , I know some people use this but i guess it would depend on the size of the footprint you require ........

As an ex sapper Rob I expect you‘ve gone for either the mil surplus jacuzzi or the Braithwaite option?

9B1B1E54-F518-465E-AB36-DA5C54B94D57.jpeg
89076225-10F6-4BE2-9E14-EB1FB67A092D.jpeg

Again......getting that into a rucksack is a helluva thing?
Carrying the water not so much of a problem if you have a pocket water filter?
Heated with one of those 4 candle jobbies or a Origo HeatPal stove, I guess?

Yup, can see that working...........................:thumbsup:

Yea, it'd for camping not far from the car so the weight isn't really an issue.
Tent diameter is 3.8m so I reckon 3.2m for the footprint.

The Screwfix option might be just the job with some duct tape
RADIATOR REFLECTOR FOIL 470MM X 4M (1.88M²) @ £6.60

Thanks Mark,
I won't be buying the size that'd cover the whole 10'6" circular footprint though at £64, but it's worth a thought if we go family camping with that tent.

I’ve looked into this foil but found that is only an effective insulator if there is a minimum 25mm air gap on both sides as it works to limit radiated heat loss, if there is no air gap it works against you and actually conducts heat away from you. It is however very effective at screening you from a thermal imaging device if strung with an air gap under a camouflage tarp

Good info, thanks Mike.
I might just go with a cut piece of tarp with roll mats and wool blanket to supplement.
I'll probably change my mind several more times though. :)

Back