• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Homebrew knife

Bionic

Extremely Talkative
Hello chaps. I had a bit of time on my hands over the bank holiday weekend so decided to finish off my latest knife. This one is handled with some left over white oak off cuts from another project and brass liners (which I’m hoping the epoxy will prevent any corrosion problems with down the line :) ). The cutting edge is approximately 3 1/2 inches long with a scandi grind and is made of 1095 steel on to which I’ve forced a patina using cider vinegar (purely because it was the cheapest vinegar the local co-op stocked). The sheath is just a simple effort using 3mm leather that is still awaiting a treatment of neatsfoot oil.
Constructive criticism and advice greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking. James :)

10CEA95A-65A9-43DD-860D-9546FCF52060.jpeg
9B04A857-C10F-40E9-AB17-B1838018FE59.jpeg
946E9580-5022-4992-A8AC-4A87AA3A286C.jpeg
2BB1F0A7-E1FE-42AE-A462-B0EA421242B5.jpeg

Very nice mate.....good skills.
The sheath is well made too.
How long did it take you to make the knife and what would you say was the hardest and most time consuming part of the build?
Owning and using a knife you have made yourself must be a joy.

Thanks for sharing.........and good pictures.

Thanks chaps. I hadn’t really thought about how long it’s taken me but probably in the region of 5-6 hours for the knife if you don’t count time sat waiting (epoxy drying, heat treatment etc) and and 2-3 hours for the sheath with the same caveat. Most difficult/ nerve wracking part was probably the initial hardening as I only had an oxy acetylene torch available so there was obviously a requirement for quite a degree of care in order to avoid warping or overheating it. I’ve made a makeshift charcoal forge for next time and if it works I’ll convert it in to something more permanent :)

Hope the forge works out for you.
Be nice to see some pictures once you have made the forge.
Then if you have time.....share a stage by stage accountil of the build with pictures and write up.
Would be interested in following a build.

I'm impressed, that looks very nice. You didn't waste your time adding that patina to the blade, it somehow finishes it off just right. :thumbsup:

Back