• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Homemade knife

collierboy

Very Addicted
I received an unexpected gift today when a friend of mine's father gave me a knife and sheath
he'd made in his little garden shed. Excellent workmanship and all self taught.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_20220120_182353238.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_20220120_182353238.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 44
I received an unexpected gift today when a friend of mine's father gave me a knife and sheath
he'd made in his little garden shed. Excellent workmanship and all self taught.
That's the kind of thing I wish I could have had the chance to do.
There's nothing better than making an object that tests your patience, ability, and determination.
Well done that man.

That is one lovely hand made knife,last time I had one was in the early 70s and was made by an old African chap in Zambia,he told me the steel came from an old car leaf spring,boy it kept its edge well until some B,stard stole it.

Wow :thumbsup: that is one hell of a knife, looks like the design is based on a Texas skinner đź‘Ť
He has just a tiny shed, a self built gas furnace and uses old steel from leaf springs / old files /saws etc. The swords
he makes are real works of art especially the Katanas. It's a bit of an honour to to receive one of his knives because
they aren't for sale. You say it's based on a Texas Skinner, so I'll call this one the a Clydach Squirrel Skinner.

That is one lovely hand made knife, an old car leaf spring,
Yes it is, I dread to think how many hours it took, but he obviously loves making them. The pic doesn't show it but either side
of the tang there's a tiny red spacer then the two grips fixed by copper rivets by the look. He also carves wood as well.

Not sure how he makes them CH, I just know they're pretty good. My son in law knows him better than I do as
they're from the same village so he's going to ask for a few more pics.

It's a very nice knife, but unless he uses a high-temperature forge to fold and weld carbon steel, he isn't making katanas, he's making katana-shaped swords. There's a big difference.

Not dissing the guy, jes' sayin'. :alert:
I have seen in a two-hour-long documentary about the way a true Katana sword is forged,
the sword-smith was 90+ years old.
He had three men with him, one was the apprentice, and the other two were the muscle to
hammer the billet.
The billet is folded and forged welded between 10 and 14 times to this smiths' requirement.
The amount of carbon in the steel is done by the Master burning dried straw and pushing it against
the billet while it was hammered.
After about six months the blade is finished to the masters' standards, and the blade then goes to the Master polisher,
who can take another six months or more to finish.
A joy to watch.

Forget Hollywood,
The most perfect Katana & Wakizashi ever, the "HOJO Masamune Katana", which is now a national treasure by famous sword maker himself Masamune.
The only person to come close to his craftmanship and perfection was Muramasa, a mysterious craftsman, thought more to work for the dark side :sneaky:, these craftsman weren`t in competition as were in different time frames.
If you`re ever down that way, is the Kyoto Samurai & Ninja museum, you need a good day + there. The other is a festival on 14th December every year, many people from the world over visit "Sengakuji Temple" Tokyo, to pay homage at the grave of the "Ako Roshi" (47 Ronin).

Forget Hollywood,
The most perfect Katana & Wakizashi ever, the "HOJO Masamune Katana", which is now a national treasure by famous sword maker himself Masamune.
The only person to come close to his craftmanship and perfection was Muramasa, a mysterious craftsman, thought more to work for the dark side :sneaky:, these craftsman weren`t in competition as were in different time frames.
If you`re ever down that way, is the Kyoto Samurai & Ninja museum, you need a good day + there. The other is a festival on 14th December every year, many people from the world over visit "Sengakuji Temple" Tokyo, to pay homage at the grave of the "Ako Roshi" (47 Ronin).
Anorak fact, no traditional Katana is forged with a curved blade.
You have 30 seconds to tell why and no Googling.

Know they are tempered in cast in clay, don`t know if that`s anything to do with it holding in the heat ? Gis a clue o_O
The curve in the blade comes from the clay but it's not cast.
The clay is to stop the heat from tempering the top of the blade, from the heat that's needed to harden the edge,
and the difference in heat draws the iron crystals tighter at the top, thus curving the blade

Back