• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hot tent stoves

Wood burner for car camping if heavy, I keep looking at the Origo Heat Pal but it's a meths heater / cooker, I suppose it depends on a few things, campsite, fuel, use ?

Hi Matt.

Wood or Gas?...............personal preference maybe?

Having had the woodburning Frontier Stove and now converted to a Gas heater...... its Gas all the way for me 👍
The heater I have with the 20lb bottle takes up no more room in the car than the Frontier stove......and the two together weigh less I reckon.
Same as the Frontier it is best used in a base location when Wild Camping.....wouldn't want to lug it too far.

Now on E-Bay

Mr. Heater F232000 MH9BX Buddy 4,000-9,000-BTU Indoor-Safe Portable Radiant Heat | eBay

No worries about buying logs......finding dry deadfall........just turn on the gas and away you go.
Obviously, no need to attack the tent and fit a stove jack......... just turn on and go 👍
At some point, I will be making a grill to attach to the heater so I can warm water..........making toast is a breeze too 🤣

This little clip shows how to add a cooking/water heating grill for the heater.
May as well utilise the heat 👍

I used both, gas and wood stove, while visiting friends in winter times.

But I prefer a tent, where I can light a normal fire inside, and where I can hang a pot directly over it.
The amount of fire wood is higher, but the logs may be much larger, so it is easy to cut them.

This type of tents become hot, if I want it, not only relatively warm.

(I recommend 4xKohtenblatt Kohte 20, schwarz)

tent review is at 10:31
Universal Tent Bereg UP-2
Can't find a price on it yet though

Last edited:
What I forgot to write:

If you have a fire in the tent, a normal fire, you have to do the snow away, before you set it up.

With a stove you can put some logs under the stove and camp on the snow.

So, in arctic conditions a stove is the first choice. In normal central European conditions the normal fire inside is better in my opinion.

Good clothes, sleeping bag and smaller tent and you don't need woodburners or gas stoves...You don't see Sherpa's carrying wood burners up mountains. I've hot tented a lot in the past but these days look on hot tents as a self indulgence :(

If I am alone I use bivvi bag and lean to poncho shelter with fire in front of it.

But if we are 4 persons, we can easily carry the tent I show in the video.
Each tent sheet weights 2,2 kg, the rest of the carried equipment is a normal equipment with military poncho for each as ground sheet and a saw and a hatchet for all. Poles and pegs we make in the forest.

The tent exists in a larger size too, there fit in up to 8 adult persons.

One tent sheet alone can be pitched also like this:

(The video shows the smaller size)

Here a picture from inside, usually the pot is hanging at a chaine with open hook in the lower end.
(You see there a 6 litres pot.)

I think you can imagine, that this is very comfortable!

;0)

Last edited:
I've already recommended a gas stove. I have a Swedish Wildo wood burner stove which is heavy duty compared to the lightweight Frontier stove. For those who've not used a wood burner remember, they only go three to maybe four hours on a burn so forget waking up to a cozy tent in the morning, won't happen unless you get up a couple of times at night to top the stove up. This is where the propane heater wins easily, wake up in a cold tent, light the gas and within mins you and your tent are cozy warm :)

You'd be surprised how much wood a stove will go through per night/day, very wasteful IMHO.

And how much gas do you need in which tent in which temperatures (outside) in how many hours?

Your 'carbon footprint' is much much smaller using propane and if you do have to buy wood propane is a lot cheaper. How much gas? We take a 13kg cylinder which very easily lasts a long weekend away. Temperatures in the UK vary, here i Wales a low temp of -10c happens depending upon where you camp.

Back