• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Hotash rocket stove

Woodlander

Very Addicted
I'm thinking of getting one of these as a merry Christmas to me, in the New Year.
Any opinions on this type of stove?

I can't offer an opinion on that particular stove design but the general principal of rocket stoves is awesomely efficient. Some of the best ones I've ever seen were just cut into the side of a clay bank or made of breeze blocks.

No experience with these Jon, but I agree with bob and bill... firebox is a cracking bit of kit and worth the money :thumbsup:

To be fair this doesn't look like its a proper rocket fuel as such. The real articles work by having an insulated chimney that ensures the heat is there to ensure near complete combustion and hence a lot of heat for little fuel. The item in the op looks more like a tall narrow conventional stove that I'd guess (not that I've ever used one I hasten to add) has very few advantages over the more traditional Firebox and as has been noted a lot of disadvantages. As an aside I've been meaning to make a vehicle portable rocket stove out of a 20L oil can (no not a plastic one before anyone says), this might just have spurred me back in to action on that front once X-mas is out of the way :)

I was thinking rocket stove for efficiency, and environmentally friendlier. But the firebox stove is a lot smaller when packed, having a rethink now 🤔

I can't offer an opinion on that particular stove design but the general principal of rocket stoves is awesomely efficient. Some of the best ones I've ever seen were just cut into the side of a clay bank or made of breeze blocks.
I've used similar clay bank fires when I was in the army Mike, work very well when the wind is in the right direction. a bit like a vertical Dakota fire pit

Back