• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

House temperatures

Baytree

Quite Addicted
A question was asked on another forum I use about what temperature members houses are and I was prompted to revisit the topic recently when relatives said they thought our house was a bit cold. The temperature at the time was 18 degrees and we don't as a rule have it any warmer. The house has south facing windows and is decently insulated so we also very rarely have any heating on in the daytime. Our relatives have their home warmed to 22 degrees. I've asked on other forums and seeing as this forum has possibly more than the average outdoor types thought I'd ask for comparison .

Simple truth is - I don't know. My thermastat is old and close to useless. Most of the time I control the heat manually, if I'm cold I turn on the heating, vice versa if I'm hot. With the price of energy going through the roof I have taken to wearing a vest and long-johns, plus some thermal (lined) trousers that Matt recommended. Don't have the heating on half as often now, even during the -7c snap that we had before Christmas. Must be saving a fortune! 😊

We are on oil and have to buy in bulk, our heating is around 17-18 degrees. If we want anywhere any warmer we turn on an electric heater, we pay a fixed amount every month on top of the rent.

Heating! 😳. Here on the edge of Dartmoor in Devon, it rarely gets below 20c! Who needs heating? 🤷
Don't believe him! 😂 I lived near Bovey Tracey, on the edge of Dartmoor, for much of my young life. We had some serious cold and snow, the winter of '63 being a good example. Torquay boasts that it has tropical palms growing - because it never gets cold enough to kill them. Until one year in the 70s when it all went udders up! Although the palms didn't die completly the leaves took a serious beating. It is a lot warmer in Devon, it's true, but don't be seduced by the myth. In '63 there were snowdrifts 10 feet deep on and near Dartmoor. I know, my Dad and I had to dig us out.😄

Where I used to live (on the West coast North of Liverpool) has its own microclimate with long, hot summers and we rarely even saw a frost. We might get storms off the sea but prolonged cold weather is virtually unknown there. It’s why the coast between Southport and Formby gets so many retirees. The cold weather elsewhere came as a bit of a shock to the system but these days I’m far better adapted to the cold than I am to heat.

Don't believe him! 😂 I lived near Bovey Tracey, on the edge of Dartmoor, for much of my young life. We had some serious cold and snow, the winter of '63 being a good example. Torquay boasts that it has tropical palms growing - because it never gets cold enough to kill them. Until one year in the 70s when it all went udders up! Although the palms didn't die completly the leaves took a serious beating. It is a lot warmer in Devon, it's true, but don't be seduced by the myth. In '63 there were snowdrifts 10 feet deep on and near Dartmoor. I know, my Dad and I had to dig us out.😄
Lies I tell you!

As I mentioned this question has been posed on other forums and the answers are interesting . There does seem to be a number of people who aim for around 22-23 degrees. Highest response was from a lady who aims at 25 degrees . She lives in Scotland but has a small and very well insulated home so getting to those temperatures doesn't cost a fortune.
Like Ystranc ours varies. The living room at the moment is around 18 degrees although there's no heating on and it went off around 10 last night. With the woodburner on it can get really quite warm in here. Kitchen and bedrooms are a little lower save for my daughter's room as like most teenagers she spends most of her time in there. Coldest is the downstairs toilet which is off the garage and unheated and is currently around 7 degrees. It can drop to just a little above freezing if the weather is really cold.
If Paul is wearing long johns and not having the heating on as often then I'd guess even with a broken thermostat he'd be in line with some of the cooler responses.
Coldest response so far is a guy who's home and that of his mother's have the thermostat set to 13 degrees and averages around 8-14 degrees depending on the time of day.

We’re around 18 to 20 degrees, very odd occasion we go above the 20’s. My cousin on the other hand loves the heat to the point I always fall asleep when visiting him 😂

We run air conditioning during the wet season and struggle to get indoor temps down to around 27 degrees at midday. Of course The Boy has built his camp directly under the icy blast and the rest of us peasants have to shuffle around his perimeter….😂

Alan

Quick update on the effectiveness of the chimney sheep.
It's the small one instead of the big one that I thought we'd need when I installed it, BUT, by crikey its fcukin warm in the living room now, even with the door open.
So we'll worth it, I'm even thinking of turning one of the radiators off.

Back