• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How carvable is stabilised wood.

WolfsHead

Extremely Talkative
I got some lovely karelian birch for a knife I'm having made but had got it 4mm too short so sourced another piece the correct size. The wife informs me this years anniversary gift material is wood so I was thinking of making a decorative spoon out of the 1st piece similiar to the one her sister got us with our wedding date on when we got married.

Does anyone know whether this stabilised wood is going to be a total pig or is it still quite workable. If it's going to be tfd I might see what elae can be done with it instead beforw I go buying a spoon knife.

I got some lovely karelian birch for a knife I'm having made but had got it 4mm too short so sourced another piece the correct size. The wife informs me this years anniversary gift material is wood so I was thinking of making a decorative spoon out of the 1st piece similiar to the one her sister got us with our wedding date on when we got married.

Does anyone know whether this stabilised wood is going to be a total pig or is it still quite workable. If it's going to be tfd I might see what elae can be done with it instead beforw I go buying a spoon knife.
You can work it mate but be prepared to do a lot of sharpening

Eager to find this out.. as I have 2 nice bits of birch to carve into spoons. But I’ve left them to dry out lol some am assuming it will be just as Dense as your stabilised wood.

Will you be posting up pictures of your progress?

Back