• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

how do you cook?

elliott92

Very Addicted
I am just using a billy can at the moment as its small and does the job. but ive been looking at getting something with a bit more versatility shall we say. there are so many different cookware sets on the net, that its been a bit mind boggling. there are so many different ways to cook when your in the bush too. Anyway after a bit of searching I've found this....
Altitude II Cookset | Gelert
it seams compact, useful, stylish and can be used to cook a wide variety of things. the value isn't too bad either, and i can probably fit a mug in the kettle for my morning coffee. hopefully order one of these come payday.

I just wondered what you lads and ladies used to cook while your out, and what is your main criteria for the cooking equipment you use?

also has anyone used the gelert set in the link above? there aren't many reviews on it and although i think it looks good, you never really know until its used?

thankyou in advance for any replies

well for one im happy with my billy tins mate ,£15 for a 6pc who can moan? and they all fit inside one another....
i use my billys to make curry's,stews,soups and boil up veg etc same as you would do at home... the small one i use to boil water 24/7 in the bush/field as it's nice to have hot water for a brew or a quick wash.the lids can be used to cover food while cooking , double up as a frying pan and the triple up as a mess tin...and if you check out the main page you can see the oven i made out of mine to cook bread in or meat or maybe even a mini roast .... all this for £15 is what i call a deal and half .....sorry if my spellings a bit sloppy

if im out for just a day or two i would use some non stick mess tins... but if im out for longer i would use a set of billy tins like steves

ye good point... billys are great. i struggle to fry a whole rabbit in them though (ive got a 12 and 14 cm billy tin) and if ive been hunting the day before a bit of rabbits usually on the menu. that's why i was looking for something with a frying pan. i suppose i could just cut the rabbit up a bit more haha

mate just de-leg and body the rabbit slap it in the biggest pot with 2 choped up spuds and carrots,, bit of onion stock cube then 2pts of water and a good blug of red wine,,, lid on cook for 2hrs on open fire ,,,, meal for a king cooked

mate just de-leg and body the rabbit slap it in the biggest pot with 2 choped up spuds and carrots,, bit of onion stock cube then 2pts of water and a good blug of red wine,,, lid on cook for 2hrs on open fire ,,,, meal for a king cooked
Even if I have nothing else with me I try to take a couple of pairs of aluminium mess tins. You can use them to store your stuff together, throw a tea bag and some water in one, boil and drink your tea straight from it. Cook stew, chilli, etc, eat it straight from it, fill it with water and boil to clean. Cook on the fire, stove anything that you've got to cook on, save the second pair for use when you have completely destroyed the first pair. And so on.
Buy the cheapest ones that you can find, and don't worry about abusing them. Easy life. My feeling about the non stick ones is that they're less disposable. If you get food stuck to the ali ones then you just keep boiling water in them till they're clean.
Seriously Elliott, for the price you want to spend on that cookset, you could buy at least 7 pairs of mess tins and I bet they will last you longer.

Even if I have nothing else with me I try to take a couple of pairs of aluminium mess tins. You can use them to store your stuff together, throw a tea bag and some water in one, boil and drink your tea straight from it. Cook stew, chilli, etc, eat it straight from it, fill it with water and boil to clean. Cook on the fire, stove anything that you've got to cook on, save the second pair for use when you have completely destroyed the first pair. And so on.
Buy the cheapest ones that you can find, and don't worry about abusing them. Easy life. My feeling about the non stick ones is that they're less disposable. If you get food stuck to the ali ones then you just keep boiling water in them till they're clean.
Seriously Elliott, for the price you want to spend on that cookset, you could buy at least 7 pairs of mess tins and I bet they will last you longer.
best thing with the mess tins is the pound shop sell them for( yes dare i say it £1)

I've got a 2 burner cooker which I got from Gazo, and the missus bought me a 2 burner and grill cooker. She also got me two adapters so I can connect the two cookers together giving me 4 burners and a grill, also I can connect my gas fridge as well. Oh I do love my home comforts, plenty of hot food and plenty of cold drinks. Also in my fridge will be eggs, bacon, black pudding, sausages, butter. Plus tins of beans, tomatoes, spuds, peas, rice pudding, and strawberry jam. On the off chance I have the time to go hunting and catch the odd rabbit or two, I will bring also, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, self raising flour, loaf of bread, and a bottle of fine red wine. If there is any room left I'll bring some coffee and tea. :hp-beer:. Geoff.

I've got a 2 burner cooker which I got from Gazo, and the missus bought me a 2 burner and grill cooker. She also got me two adapters so I can connect the two cookers together giving me 4 burners and a grill, also I can connect my gas fridge as well. Oh I do love my home comforts, plenty of hot food and plenty of cold drinks. Also in my fridge will be eggs, bacon, black pudding, sausages, butter. Plus tins of beans, tomatoes, spuds, peas, rice pudding, and strawberry jam. On the off chance I have the time to go hunting and catch the odd rabbit or two, I will bring also, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, self raising flour, loaf of bread, and a bottle of fine red wine. If there is any room left I'll bring some coffee and tea. :hp-beer:. Geoff.

Geoff guess who,s coming to your tent for dinner:hp-beer::hp-beer:

some good advice on here lads cheers. i might give some mess tins a bash and see how i get on with them. not that im going to have time much before march to get out and camp. haha geoffs tent for dinner it is then

I'll even bring my guitar along for the old camp fire sing song, that's if you don't mind. Geoff. :hp-beer:.

i used to use heximane stoves that a mates brother got us in the ration packs (he was in the army) . i then got an alpine stove .cant remember the maker but it was a gas one. then i went onto a an msr whisperlite petrol/parafin and kerosenne stove. i still have the msr . great stove but a bit pricey . last time i used it was on the top of ben nevis abot 10 years ago or more . we still used to take a heximane one just in case

Depends what i'm doing. I'll use my cast iron stuff at every opportunity. But, if weight is an issue then i normally use a swedish army trangia. Excellent bits of kit.

I've always wanted to get hold of a proper old cast iron dutch oven, very versatile but also very heavy. No good for back packing but I bet you can do some lovely meals in one.

Back