• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How do you sell an air weapon nowadays?

Woodlander

Very Addicted
Got a .22 air rifle I want to sell but with all the new laws I haven't a clue!
Anyone know?

New laws (sec 31 of the 2006 violent crime reduction act) do apply but they're not very well enforced, what is it that you have to sell Jon?

Last edited:
New laws (sec 31 of the 2006 violent crime reduction act) do apply but they're not very well enforced, what is it that you have to sell Jon?
Crossman phantom .22 and Norica rifle bag.
20200113_205027.jpg

I had the shrouded barrel version of the phantom II nitro a little while back..... It was a nice gun, how much do you need to get out of yours?

For others in a similar position it is often easiest to put second hand air guns through an auction house that is registered as a firearms dealer. That way you get the market value of the air gun minus the selling commission but it is completely legal. You can also legally give an air rifle to anyone over the age of 14 if you wish to get rid of one (if they're under 18 they will need to be supervised by an over 21 while using it unless on private land)
Although section 31 of the 2006 violent crime reduction act is virtually unenforceable it is still law, no matter how silly or how much it is ignored.

Reactions: Bam
You can sell "face to face" as long as the buyer is over 18 and it's power output is less than 12 foot pounds. There are air gun forums that allow advertising of rifles and pistols but you usually need 20 posts before being allowed to sell. I have bought privately via "Guntrader" on the internet with no problems. Maybe someone on this forum is interested or you could try what was the sister site. I think it was Airgun Universe. I will ask at our airgun club if anyone would be interested. PM me the price if you don't want to put it on this forum.

The face to face rule; Since the end of 2016 the face to face rule has meant that an RFD or his employee (even a directly employed delivery person such as the Pellpax delivery guy) must be present at the actual transfere of an air gun (or if it's been shipped it may be transferred by another RFD).
This is covered in section 32 of the 2006 reduction of violent crime act. It makes absolutely no provision at all for private sales but since it's legal to GIVE an air gun to another person the law is almost unenforceable. A limited number of air gun sales by a private individual may be tolerated but not necessarily be legal. Ukgunroom allows one private sale per year.
As an alternative it would be legal to ship or post an air gun to an RFD in order for him to complete the transfer which would make the sale legal as it would be logged (recorded in register kept by the RFD for the police) by the RFD at the time of exchange. The RFD will charge the recipient a fee in the region of £30 for the exchange.
I looked into this back in 2016 as a second income stream but ended up thinking it was likely to be a bit of a pain in the bum.
Please follow the link and scroll down to sec. 31&32;

Last edited:
I've finally had an unofficial response from the Firearms Licensing Department of Dyfed Powys Police (Jon's Police authority). They only take any interest in the sale of air rifles under 12 f/lbs if the person selling them is doing so overtly as part of a business. It isn't that it's legal to sell them (the law is wide open to interpretation around the term "trade") just that it's tolerated for a person to sell their own airgun, unless a person has multiple air guns offered for sale, as a business or a complaint is made.
Also the Firearms Licensing Dept. are not yet responsible for reviewing the RFD's records on air gun sales and the police have no interest in them unless they're part of a larger case.
The opinion of my Firearm Liaison officer is that it was a matter of the UK government taking half a faltering step toward the Scottish system and then not following through as the administration costs would be too high leaving a large grey area that no one wants to look at.

Reactions: Bam
I've finally had an unofficial response from the Firearms Licensing Department of Dyfed Powys Police (Jon's Police authority). They only take any interest in the sale of air rifles under 12 f/lbs if the person selling them is doing so overtly as part of a business. It isn't that it's legal to sell them (the law is wide open to interpretation around the term "trade") just that it's tolerated for a person to sell their own airgun, unless a person has multiple air guns offered for sale, as a business or a complaint is made.
Also the Firearms Licensing Dept. are not yet responsible for reviewing the RFD's records on air gun sales and the police have no interest in them unless they're part of a larger case.
The opinion of my Firearm Liaison officer is that it was a matter of the UK government taking half a faltering step toward the Scottish system and then not following through as the administration costs would be too high leaving a large grey area that no one wants to look at.
Just stuck it in auction at Peter Francis. Goes up in about 2-3 weeks.

Back