• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How do you test

Gazo

Slightly Obsessed
Read plenty of threads on knife sharpening but how do you tell when it's sharp enough.
Just wondering what you guys do to test this.?

I'm not suggesting that anyone do this but I usually use the tip of my finger. If you run it against the blade very lightly and you feel an ever so slight resistance you know it's sharp, if it feels smooth it's dull. I also use this method with planes, and check them as I lift them from a piece I'm working on each time out of habit. One day I got an electric planer and did the same thing while it was still spinning and took the end of my finger off. Be warned:eek:

I use my thumb nail, drawer the blade across your nail the same principle as Woodland

I'm not suggesting that anyone do this but I usually use the tip of my finger. If you run it against the blade very lightly and you feel an ever so slight resistance you know it's sharp, if it feels smooth it's dull. I also use this method with planes, and check them as I lift them from a piece I'm working on each time out of habit. One day I got an electric planer and did the same thing while it was still spinning and took the end of my finger off. Be warned:eek:

I used to do the same as Woody, but unfortunately, I've got no fingers left now. Geoff.:hp-beer:

Yeah same here. :)

I got fed up of having a bald left arm, now i just know my knives are sharp without really having to check the edge. If any of you guys come into possession of one of my knives and its come straight from me, you will know what atom splitting sharp feels like.

Just point the knife at something and it will just cut itself........ resistance is futile lol :)

I tend to know how sharp it is by how it catches on my skin and slid e a bit of paper very slowly

Well must have done a good job on my machete & Axe as I can slice paper with them with ease. :)

I had a go at HillBill's method of sharpening on my Leatherman last night. It cut s through paper now but I think I slightly rounded it as I was sharpening and also didn't do a very good job on the tip. I used a four sided Faithfull diamond stone. Think I probably need a bit more practice and if I'm honest, a little bit more patience.

I've never liked razor sharp knives it's just overkill really. I much prefer a reasonably sharp knife that can be honed quickly and easily to do the job required.

Unless I want to defend myself against a werewolf or something like that! :p

A while back I bought myself a steel off of fleebay, and now it's scary sharp time! I just love my knives being that sharp, and when they aren't it's like there is something wrong and I have to sort it! a little bit OCD maybe:eek:

I've never liked razor sharp knives it's just overkill really. I much prefer a reasonably sharp knife that can be honed quickly and easily to do the job required.

The most dangerous knife is a blunt one! unfortunately this statement was witnessed by me in the mid to late 70's a guy i used to work with Richard,..........I can't remember his surname was working in Williams brother Butchers with me and using a blunt knife was boning out a pigs head, he had to put more pressure in the cut than he should have as the knife was slightly too blunt and it came out of the pigs head and cut through his femoral artery and he was dead before the ambulance got there :(
So personally i like them as sharp as i can get them!

The most dangerous knife is a blunt one! unfortunately this statement was witnessed by me in the mid to late 70's a guy i used to work with Richard,..........I can't remember his surname was working in Williams brother Butchers with me and using a blunt knife was boning out a pigs head, he had to put more pressure in the cut than he should have as the knife was slightly too blunt and it came out of the pigs head and cut through his femoral artery and he was dead before the ambulance got there :(
So personally i like them as sharp as i can get them!

That cant have been nice to see,

I've always tested my knives sharpness by drawing my thumb gently and softly across the blade, it's the quickest and most reliable way to do it, your fingertips are so sensitive that they can even detect the burr that needs to be stropped away.

It does take a bit of practice though so take great care if trying it for the first time, especially with a new knife.

DANGER! Boring old fart alert!!!!!!!

In my day, we bought full size tartan handled sheath knives for 2/6d (12 1/2p) in our local newsagent shop. We used them all summer long for cutting wood for making bows and arrows, catapults etc, and with them being really cheap they blunted real quick. We generally sharpened them on any rough stone we could find - even house bricks, we were shown the thumb across the blade method by someone older, ouch! We soon learned to do it properly when we cut our thumb a few times.

Back