• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How light is lightweight ?

The biggest savers in weight and bulk (which affects the weight of other things such as ruck sack) are the sleeping systems. Not spending money on titanium spoons and cups which cumulatively save 100g may allow you to afford a lighter sleeping bag which could save a kilo.

Depends what you have and what you want to do.

Yep, the big 3, rucksack, sleeping system and shelter imho of course then you get into food, water etc and not forgetting the weight of yourself, I've put on a fair bit that needs to come off, soon ;)

It's the eternal search for the perfect kit isn't it? it's bloody hard getting the right mix of functionality with load. Things that are made to take a "battering" often end up the heaviest, and are the ones you don't want to ditch. Example: my German Army Para boots are heavy as hell, but made to survive anything, very comfy and sturdy, I could buy better waterproofed lighter boots but I like them so willing to suffer the downside. Flexibility that's the key.

A lot depends on what you are buying kit to do.

I want to get into bike packing where bulk rather than weight is the issue, a down bag is a priority as it compresses more; the fact it’s lighter is a bonus. A titanium spoon may be lighter than a steel one but doesn’t offer a saving in bulk so is money that could be spent elsewhere.

All the weight savings become a tad academic once I throw my fat arse across the saddle.

A lot depends on what you are buying kit to do.

I want to get into bike packing where bulk rather than weight is the issue, a down bag is a priority as it compresses more; the fact it’s lighter is a bonus. A titanium spoon may be lighter than a steel one but doesn’t offer a saving in bulk so is money that could be spent elsewhere.

All the weight savings become a tad academic once I throw my fat arse across the saddle.

When you're talking kit specific like Biking absolutely, every lb matters--wheeeze--pufff-pant---choke:)

@Bobdude was so friendly to set the link to the very cheap titanium cooking kit made by TOMSHOO.

That is, what I recommend to every body!

For one person the size is perfect, the quality is good and the price is outstanding low.
It is perfectly constructed and well made.

Titanium avoids to burn your lips, if you want to drink a tea. By using a gas burner usually you can touch the handle without burning the fingers.
The price of this set is as cheap as far heavier stainless steel mugs and pots.

I do not own the set, but I know several well informed persons, who had been totally convinced about it.

I am not sure, but I guess, the Tomshoo 450ml mug has the same diameter like the Robens 450ml mug I own.
And so it should fit over the neoprene cover of the 360 Degrees stainless steel bottle of 750ml like this:

WP_20180416_04_23_47_Pro.jpg WP_20180423_02_07_48_Pro.jpg

This you could do, if you use the gas system I showed before.
Should you use a beer can or other spiritus stove, of course you can store one mug in the other with a handkerchief in between to avoid rattling around, and you can use it as a potholder.

(If you would go trekking with a second person an additional pot of 1,5 Liters would be a good idea. Larger pots in this stile are offered by Toaks. But may be, Tomshoo will bring them out next time too.)

As a pillow I use the Osprey 6 Liters dry sack. (30g)

Here I store in a quilted jacket from Decathlon Solognac, what is as a pillow incredible comfortable, but you could put in your fleece jacket too.

In summer times I put the legs off my Zipp Off Trousers in this drysack too, because if I need the warm jacket, I usually need the legs of the trousers too.

WP_20180315_13_43_18_Pro.jpg

I recommend to store your spare clothing in the Snugpack dry sack 4 litres. 48g.

I usually have in there under wear (breef and T-shirt), shirt, socks, swimming breefs.
(On camping grounds and for hostel use Swimming shorts are recommended.)

As you can see, it has nearly the same packing size, so that fits very well together:

WP_20180426_17_49_37_Pro.jpg

I recommend to buy all three colours of the Snugpack dry sack S 4 Litres, oliv for spare clothing, sand for rain suit, black for merino under wear and woolen cap, gloves, scarf.
Or black for the Poncho Tarp.

So around it fits in the ruck sack:

WP_20180206_22_43_15_Pro.jpg

Toilet Paper fits in the same bag, like the Toaks or Tomshoo 750ml mug.

Sea to Summit dry sack 2 litres 70 DEN 30g

(It is a bit stronger than the lighter ones, which I do not trust to survive for longer times.)

So you should buy the black one for the pot and the blue one for the Toilet paper.
(So you can find it easily in Emergencies!)

WP_20180401_02_29_34_Pro.jpg WP_20180401_02_33_32_Pro.jpg
750ml mug

WP_20180306_23_21_02_Pro.jpg
A role of toilet paper.

Yes, and that's it!

On top in the ruck sack comes the Snug Pack Special Forces 1 Sleeping Bag (1030g) in the Snug pack Special Forces bivvy bag (340g) in the Snug Pack Dry Sack M 8 Litres (60g).

In my ruck sack you can see the foldable german army insulation mat (425g).

I recommend the Defcon Poncho in the Vegetato Italiano camouflage (400g) as a small tarp and rain cover in summer times.
That is original Nato stuff.

Decathlon 2 mm Simond line, 10 meters for the Poncho, 10 meters as a washing line (2x20g).
How to deal with it I explained in the thread "Wild Camping".

If you have to deal with hard ground, take 4 orange Decathlon aluminium pegs (4x9g)together with the lines in a bright small bag, and put this in your poncho bag!

May be a mosquito head net (30g) would be a good idea.

May be the little back up lamp Photon micro light could be useful (5g).

And that is all I need down till 0*C for trekking tours of several weeks.

LESS IS MORE !

WP_20180404_19_08_43_Pro.jpg
WP_20171115_22_04_26_Pro.jpg
WP_20170904_11_11_27_Pro.jpg

What I am usually wearing on the body you can find in the List in the beginning with the Decathlon equipment.
Here it is important to understand, that my shirt is large enough to wear it OVER the Fleece jacket if I need it as a wind stopper jacket.

Have a look for "Pinewood Sahara" Zipp Off Trousers, if you want them in olive green.

The swimming shorts replace them if they are drying on the washing line, if it is cold, I use instead of them the rain trousers, when they are drying.

So, Ladies and Gentlemen!
Just try it out!

I would like to ad some pictures of the Spiritus bottles I talked about.

In Scandinavia you can find them every where, and especially cheap on the ferries.

Of course they have to be made from plastic!

If it is in this design, you can carry it next to the body, if it is cold. Spiritus should be kept warm!

Unfortunately I can't tell you how you can find them on the british market.
If somebody should find a british one, you could perhaps add it in this tread.

So, here is the only one on the german market:
WP_20180415_22_31_35_Pro.jpg

WP_20180415_22_32_35_Pro.jpg
WP_20180415_22_32_03_Pro.jpg

As you can see here, my stove isn't made from a beer can. It is made from a 200ml prosecco can of a smaller diameter, that fits better with the recommended 750ml and 450ml mugs.

This 350ml Nagelne PET Flask would bee a good option too:

WP_20180415_22_33_50_Pro.jpg

Here’s my spirit bottle and stove , I have a larger bottle for extended journies .......

Attachments

• FA1661F3-6340-425A-9148-26738C3D43E9.jpeg
    FA1661F3-6340-425A-9148-26738C3D43E9.jpeg
    252.5 KB · Views: 239
  • A3E91CDE-7FC2-4869-BD37-B40C295CAA05.jpeg
    A3E91CDE-7FC2-4869-BD37-B40C295CAA05.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 150
Would you please explain your stove?

I think it is an interesting option.

Would you please explain your stove?

I think it is an interesting option.

They are called Speedster stoves, a few different sizes available, if you search for them on ebay you'll see them cheap as chips, not a fast stove but adequate, as 38 says, they need a windshield, you get the wire pot stand with them when ordered.

I think, a bit of aluminium packing attached to the wire pot stand would be enough as a wind shield.

Back