• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

How many different ways to boil water

Bionic

Extremely Talkative
As a result of our enforced bout of home schooling my daughter and I have set ourselves the challenge of boiling the water for her nightly hot chocolate in a different outdoorsy way (although I’ll admit some nights when I’m knackered it’s been indoors :oopsy: ) each night. A fortnight in this is starting to become more challenging so I’m open to suggestions folks (nothing too time consuming though as I’m still fortunate enough to be flat out at work). I’ve attached some pics of a few of our recent efforts:)
F5AF43D1-C343-4E10-95C5-16B0030E6A4E.jpeg
12BC3B25-6276-41A5-A2A9-216B5C0E5110.jpeg
7D4997FD-E480-435F-B86D-09ABE1AF99C1.jpeg
158EF180-9475-4F71-BA9E-B766599D5ECC.jpeg

Nice one mate, not sure I can help on the variety of ways to boil water, I get there are different mediums like gas/wood/alcohol but you're gonna run out at some point.

You could gain a few extra nights by using different methods to hang the pot. Two Y sticks and a cross bar, natural pot hanger if you can find a suitable one, a carved pot hanger, a simple Crane style, one end of stick rammed into the ground pot hanging on the other end. It's cheating a bit perhaps but it's still ways of boiling water..

Thanks guys. I think if I’m honest Sax’s method of varying the ways of hanging the pot is probably my best bet for extending the game as long as possible. The cow pat idea is one I’d thought of (cat litter in the solo stove was a big hit :) ) but living in Lincolnshire cattle are a bit thin on the ground. At a push my cousin lives next door to my drs surgery and her husband’s a stock man so I could combine a trip but I’m struggling to think of a way to ask him to collect a few of his herds droppings without making him think I’m any stranger than he already does. Thanks all for your suggestions and I’ll try and post up a few more pics if I get inventive. :)

As a result of our enforced bout of home schooling my daughter and I have set ourselves the challenge of boiling the water for her nightly hot chocolate in a different outdoorsy way (although I’ll admit some nights when I’m knackered it’s been indoors :oopsy: ) each night. A fortnight in this is starting to become more challenging so I’m open to suggestions folks (nothing too time consuming though as I’m still fortunate enough to be flat out at work). I’ve attached some pics of a few of our recent efforts:)View attachment 20949View attachment 20951View attachment 20952View attachment 20953
Hot stones or a few red hot pokers for when your container has to be made out of birch bark or bamboo

Thanks chaps. The Swedish torch looks like a promising idea for when I’ve got a bit more time (I’ll confess I had to look it up), the hot rocks are in the pipeline as well so hopefully we’ll get a few more days out of this.
Thanks again. James :)

Back